Correct voltage for House Battery?

Started by Mickey7, November 21, 2017, 07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey7

OK, my so called expert mechanic removed my huge one piece battery that was dead (it looks like a golf cart battery) and installed a new battery that looks just like the one that came out.  I get a reading of 26 volts across the Pos and Neg terminal.  Isn't that supposed to be 12 volts?  I've searched the FAQ's and can't find anything about that subject. 
Thanks for your help.
Michael

Rickf1985

YES!!!! 12 volts or you are going to blow out a LOT of stuff!! If he hooked up the terminals then some damage has already been done I am sure. Unless fuses protected the converter. Get out there and disconnect the GROUND wire ASAP. Then inform your so called expert mechanic that your vehicle is 12 volt and he is responsible for any damage that has been done.

Mickey7

Probably why my power controller went bad and my fridge, water heater and furnace don't work either.  I text my mechanic and I guess he's not my mechanic anymore.  Haven't heard back from him.  I paid $260 for that battery and I don't know where he purchased it.
Ticks me off because I could have done all that myself and not had these problems.  Live and learn...  but I would have expected that I would have learned those lessons by now.

Thanks for your input Rick
Michael

DaveVA78Chieftain

The issue now is most likely the converter, not the battery.  Disconnect the rig from shore power and read the battery again.
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

How many cell (caps) does the battery have? 6 caps is a 12 volt battery and 12 caps is a 24 volt battery. 24 volt batteries are not all that common, I have a couple for military generators but they are not all that big, same size as a Honda Civic battery.
I did a Google search and could not find any 24 volt automotive batteries. That is strange since I have two 4HN batteries here which are 24 volt.
http://www.remybattery.com/group-size-4hn-battery.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA3dTQBRDnARIsAGKSflk0_ar2bWslAwNz4HEyB3AN2oeWI2QMNBKIkc27JczzfCVzbw-OkBEaAuhPEALw_wcB

I think Dave is right about the charger, an open circuit to the batteries will cause a high voltage output on some chargers.

legomybago

That 1987 Bounder should have 2 house batteries, you only mention the mechanic replacing 1? Sounds to me like your mechanic hooked the "new" 12v battery in "Series" with the other 12v battery? Just a thought.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

tmsnyder

If using a digital multimeter, make sure you have a good battery in it.  Those give high readings when the battery gets low.   Check your RV battery voltage with another meter and let us know.

Froggy1936

Like Rick said , Count the battery caps, 1 per 2 Volt cell .  12 V has 6 caps ,  24 V has 12 Caps , Also if you have 6 caps try a different meter !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Quote from: legomybago on November 22, 2017, 10:14 AM
That 1987 Bounder should have 2 house batteries, you only mention the mechanic replacing 1? Sounds to me like your mechanic hooked the "new" 12v battery in "Series" with the other 12v battery? Just a thought.

That is a good possibility, batteries hooked up wrong.

Mickey7

Sorry about the delay in getting back.  The battery has 6 caps and I had my meter on the wrong setting which gave me the wrong voltage, real smart aren't I....

Thanks for your input. 

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao :)rotflmao Hate to break to you mate but you don't get to where that hat by yourself. How many of us do you think we've done the same thing. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao Just nice to know there's still a few of us still out there. :)ThmbUp Ben there, done that. But it is nice to know I'm not the only one. i??

Mickey7

Here is a picture of the replacement house battery.  This is the same size as the one I took out that was bad.

Rickf1985

That's a big battery. You REALLY need to clean up those terminals where all the wires come in. A good idea is to run a battery cable to a heavy buss bar and hook the wires in there, it gets them away from the battery acid and keeps the connections clean. Just make sure you have a buss that is rated for the loads you will have on it. But for now take the ground wire off, make sure the shore power is unplugged first, And then take those wires off of the positive terminal at the wing not and wire brush them clean and put hem back with maybe a little bit of dielectric grease. then do the same with any on the ground side and put that back on the battery. You will be amazed at how much better things work.