1977 Winnebago Brave D21, Steering thoughts...

Started by dwightish, November 18, 2017, 11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwightish

I have a D21 on a dodge chasis M300. I have replaced the following: gear box, tierods,  draglink, tires, shocks, added the expensive steeting stabilizer shock with the spring, added aid bags to the rear. With all the new parts i still get wander.  Ashen a semi passes me it nearly blows me off the road. I had it alligned and was told the king pins were good. So I'm out of ideas.  The next thing iwant to do is to replace the bushings in the leaf springs and replace the 17.5 rims to ram 17in dually rims. Any help would be appreciated or ideas. Thanks

Sasquatch

Dodge chassis were nicknamed wiggle wagons back in the day.  I fought this for 20 years on mine.  I did much as you did with some exceptions.  I had the alignment guy almost double the caster in the front end.  I also installed air bags on all four corners, bilstein shocks, and then went to modern low profile radials in 225/70/19.5.  Oh, I also updated the king pins to bronze units.  All of that added up to a very straight and true rig.

dwightish

Sasquatch, thanks for the input, what bags did you use for the front? Ive Been trying to figure that one out for a year now.  I wanted to do it before i towed  it from alaska down to vegas but never got around to doing out.

Oz

Remember to search before posting.  This is a common problem.  There are several topics already addressing it. 

When you find a relevant topic but you want more info, just add your question as a reply.  This keeps all the good info in just one, or a couple, places to find rather than scattered everywhere and having the same info repeated over and over again.

Here's the most commonly asked question and feedback on the issue:

Winnie Wanders
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Sasquatch

Quote from: dwightish on November 19, 2017, 12:00 AM
Sasquatch, thanks for the input, what bags did you use for the front? Ive Been trying to figure that one out for a year now.  I wanted to do it before i towed  it from alaska down to vegas but never got around to doing out.

I used the Firestone Ride Rite system.

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: dwightish on November 18, 2017, 11:12 PM
I have a D21 on a dodge chasis M300. I have replaced the following: gear box, tierods,  draglink, tires, shocks, added the expensive steeting stabilizer shock with the spring, added aid bags to the rear. With all the new parts i still get wander.  Ashen a semi passes me it nearly blows me off the road. I had it alligned and was told the king pins were good. So I'm out of ideas.  The next thing iwant to do is to replace the bushings in the leaf springs and replace the 17.5 rims to ram 17in dually rims. Any help would be appreciated or ideas. Thanks

Before I had my shocks and steering and tierods etc replaced I had the leaf springs replaced and that alone was a HUGE HUGE HUGE Improvement..... Think about it, how old are the leaf springs?

Coach may wonder but not in th extreme you are describing, try replacing the leaf springs brother!
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!