Banks Power Headers 454 dual smog

Started by tarifachris, November 17, 2017, 11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarifachris

Since 3 of my 8 air injection tubes into the exhaust manifold were totally broken thru, I was searching for an alternative and went to my local RV salvage yard.

Found a great alternative - Banks headers with dual smog air injection...(I have to pass yearly emission testing...)

They are stainless steel and the flanges are crazy thick... And the guys at the salvage yard knew exactly what it was...

Hopefully I will find time in December to install them / I will report back then...

WrigleysBraveWin

We have Banks Power and mileage out of 454 was 11.67 mpg on open road at 60mph and on a recent trip thru the Ozark Mountains we got a little over 10.2 mpg.
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

Rickf1985

I have never understood why they put A.I.R. on a vehicle without catalytic converters. It does nothing at all for emissions without the converters. The reason for the AIR is to introduce oxygen to initiate  the reaction in the converters. What you are looking at there are NOT emissions headers!! They are high performance headers with crankcase scavengers. I know what the diagram shows but if you have a visual inspection you will fail I am pretty sure since you don't have the manifold injection tubes.The AIR system has to be introduced at the manifold to work and that is how it is on the Banks headers that are emissions legal. I can be pretty sure they will not pass inspection. BUT, If you need to get rid of them for that reason let me know as I will buy them from you.

WrigleysBraveWin

No emissions test required where I’m licensed as Coach is over 20 years old and emissions test are not required.
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

MotorPro

the reason they put air pumps on non cat cars is simple. Because emission laws are written by people who know nothing about engines. Emissions are measured in parts per million. By adding air to the exhaust pipe you dilute the exhaust before the test. The actual number of pollution molecules released to the atmosphere  is the same but it cheats the test.

Rickf1985

Doesn't work out that way, ON a sniff test that would show up as an exhaust leak due to the extra oxygen in the exhaust. The reason it is there is to add O2 to the exhaust to activate the catalyst. As far as the PPM, you are measuring HC and also CO  so they have to be in the right proportion. The vacuum operated valves tell the system when to dump air into the exhaust and when to divert it to the air cleaner. This prevents excessive emissions at idle and slow speed and cheating the tests

MotorPro

It does work that way . Air pumps started to be added to some cars back in 1968. Seven years before cats started on cars and many years before they added them to larger trucks. Ford made no secret of the fact that they added them for that reason.

Rickf1985

If you say so, I was 17 in 68 so I wasn't really paying much attention but I did get my inspection license in 75 and my ASE master in 76 followed by my SAE master in 79 so I do know just a little bit about the systems. I have definitely forgotten more than I remember. I don't remember seeing air pumps on cars before the horsepower crash in 73. I seem to remember Cadillac might have had them in 71-72?

It is all moot point if they do a visual.

postman

No comment i??

"IN TEXAS" you can step across a county line and be either emission test or not, it depends on the registration address. That's another reason I bought a 78, which was sold in California as in compliance. Back in Texas anything older than 24 years is exempt. W% [size=78%] [/size]

Rickf1985

In NJ they just changed to anything earlier than 1995 has NO inspection at all! No safety, nothing. On all others it is a plug into the OBDII and a underneath visual. Still no safety. The kicker is this, they have roadside  mobile inspection units that travel around and set up where ever they feel they can snag people. They do a full safety inspection and if you fail the car is towed. Even though there is no safety inspection you are still responsible to maintain the vehicle and they can, and do, inspect it along the road if they feel it is unsafe. That also includes a full emissions check so if you have removed your stuff, your car is towed. When they first put that new 95 and earlier no inspection law into effect you should have seen some of the stuff that started showing up on the road!! Field cars, woods cars, if it ran people were driving it on the road! Oh yea, no inspection for diesels either. Nice for me since just about all of my vehicles are older than 95 or they are diesel.

postman

"OFF TOPIC  N:( "

Rick1984 how learned are you with Dodge M400 chassis and power train? Oz told be to reach out to DaveVA78Chief, but I got no reply. :(

Rickf1985

Dave is the guy you need to talk to. My experience with older Mopar products was limited to high performance and average passenger cars. Dave is on in the evenings, he has a regular day job.

tarifachris

I emailed Gale Banks / BanksPower and that is there answer if they are smog legal:

There isn’t a CARB EO# for these headers since the Air Resource Board does not require them for vehicle’s that did not come with catalytic converters.  They consider the headers under the “replacement part” category and as long as they retain all the emission component hook-ups they are to be treated as OEM product.

I will see at my next smog emission test...
I just realized from the posts in this threat that I have to disconnect my air injection to the exhaust headers to measure air/fuel ratio!
The AFR will show leaner with the air injection connected... Thank you all.

I cleaned the headers already and they are a piece of art...

tarifachris

Nice people at BanksPower... they even sent the installation manual from back then. There is a section in the manual to change the
governor springs in the transmission to have different shift points.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uCTI3kvCbdnxyrZ1MY6De42q9lf_dT4_/view?usp=sharing

Rickf1985

You don't want to be playing with the governor without also changing line pressures and valve body timing. The best way to do all of that is to buy a Trans-Go shift kit. This, http://www.transgo.com/products.php?prd=SK-425&homeinclude=catalog&category_id=164&parent_id=31&product_id=163&countdisplay=1&start=0&addcountview=Yes
Or this,
  http://www.transgo.com/products.php?prd=400-1%262&homeinclude=catalog&category_id=94&parent_id=31&product_id=159&countdisplay=2&start=0&addcountview=Yes.

Be sure to watch the assistance video on the page. There are several stages in each kit and you do NOT want to put a race type kit in a motor home!! It may sound like a good idea but you would be replacing a lot of u-joints and probably the input shaft in the transmission. You just want to firm up the shifts, not have them slam in like a race car. Firming up the shifts makes the clutches engage a little faster which means less slipping. This equals less heat in the trans and less wear on the clutches.