Heater control cable housing splice

Started by RickNC, October 17, 2017, 12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickNC

While sorting out an A/C issue I discovered that the heater box door control cable was binding due to a break in the cable housing that someone had attempted to repair with bailing wire and electrical tape. I removed the cable assembly and was preparing to order a new one ($100) I happened to check the cable housing diameter with a caliper and saw that it was 6mm just shy of a 1/4" (6.3mm). I fished around in a plumbing spares box and found a 1/4" compression union. I removed the inner wire from the control cable and then squared up the broken ends on a disc sander. I next inserted the cables into the compression union, tightened down and tried to pull them apart. The cables stayed in place so I reinstalled and adjusted. Splice worked perfectly, everything moves very smoothly now.

Rickf1985

kerryb

nicely done,  I used a similar tactic in replacing a dipstick tube on my chevy 454.  Used the old tube to make a new one from brake line.  Had to put a similar splice in the middle because it was too long to put in, in one piece.