I changed belts and hoses

Started by RickNC, October 20, 2017, 08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickNC

Yesterday I finally got under the doghouse. Surprisingly It was easier working on this 454 than the one I had in my '93 flat bed. Same tools except for the upper radiator hose at the radiator, I had to buy an extra long 30" 1/4 drive extension to loosen/tighten the hose clamp by reaching up from under the chassis. Belts were pretty straight forward, my BFF's were my set of extra long combination wrenches especially on the power steering pump. ( 13mm and 15mm)

The surprise came today when I replaced the heater hoses. Every 454 I ever seen or worked on had a bypass heater valve. My understanding was this was to aid in engine cooling by taking some of the hot water from the back of the engine and carrying it directly to the radiator (via the heater valve)instead of through the intake manifold to the thermostat.  This one has a stop(non bypass) valve. I also suspected the valve wasn't working since the A/C has only been blowing cold when the engine is cold. I tested it and sure enough it was only closing about 1/3.

The return hose from the heater core was routed midway down the engine and then 180'ed through a aluminum tube that looked like it had been bent over a log. I pulled everything out and then looked up parts. The heater valve for my VIN was shown as a bypass type valve. The " fork" layout of the stock valve's ports would not work on my bus unless I relocated the bypass somewhere towards the rear half of the block. Fine except there is no room between the engine and the dog house to do this. Instead I needed a "H" pattern so I could mount the valve up close to the heater core where there is lots of room. Looking through a NAPA catalogue I found a "H" pattern valve( 1995-2011 Ford Ranger) with all 5/8" ports and 1/8" vacuum port to match the winnie's.  The radiator's port is 3/4".

I temporally hooked everything up using a loop of hose and a Dorman plastic adapter to match to the radiator.  This evening I ordered a Gates 19768 3/4" gooseneck hose to make a clean 180 back to the radiator along with a brass 5/8-3/4 hose adapter to make a proper radiator connection.

CapnDirk

You are really going to have to post pictures for us "age seasoned"  people to pick up on that.   :D

Crayon drawing would work for many of us!   :)rotflmao
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

RickNC

Quote from: CapnDirk on October 20, 2017, 09:38 PM
You are really going to have to post pictures for us "age seasoned"  people to pick up on that.   :D

Crayon drawing would work for many of us!   :)rotflmao

LOL, I meant to upload pics but realized I don't have an adapter cable for the camera to this laptop. I'll try and and get them up tomorrow

CapnDirk

Thanks Rick.  It's something I'm going to have to do soon and any info is appreciated.  We have people that have posted part numbers, but no pics (as far as I know).
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"