How do these window crank things come apart?

Started by zaa, October 05, 2017, 07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaa

Hello all,

1986 Winnebago Elandan, I have a couple windows that don't crank open. Is there a way to get the mechanism out without pulling out the whole window? I've done some searching, but I haven't found much on this.

Thanks,
Z

TerryH

Short answer is 'no'. The mechanism is screwed into the window frame. It is fastened to the opener (awning vent) frame with a rivet system that is neither user friendly or a typical DYI replacement. 
Looks like an accumulation of rust and dirt on the operator.
Generally, reasonably easy to deal with using a quality lubricant and gentle back and forth with the crank.
Forcing the crank will break it. It is the weakest link.

Photo you provided is greatly appreciated.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

zaa

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately, it's not that they're seized, but there are 2-3 of them around the camper that just spin. It appears that the knob is turning the mechanism, but it's stripped inside. It's not a huge deal, and taking the windows out isn't something I want to tackle this year. It'll just have to wait.

Thanks!
Z

TerryH

Are you sure it is not the splines on the knob itself that is stripped? Usually that is the first to go.
Your windows are likely manufactured by a company named 'Hehr Ind.'
Should that be the case there is a fair amount of info on their website and the internet for repairs.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

I know all the gearboxs on mine are worn out, I see them for sale a lot. On mine though the shaft splines into the box.