So you want to build an off road RV huh?

Started by Rickf1985, October 04, 2017, 10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

Well here is your chance to get the axles you need cheap. These are for the 2 1/2 and 5 ton cargo trucks and are brand new. Never been used. For anyone not familiar to how the government does things they have a shelf life on everything and once it hits that point it goes. No matter if it is brand new or what and it gores at auction for substantially less than they paid for it. Our tax dollars at work. I am not going to put links to everything but they are also selling transmissions, transfer cases, drive shafts and engines. Just think of the rig you could build. W%  400 horsepower Cummins engine with an Allison 5 or 10 speed automatic transmission. Two speed super heavy duty transfer case for your 4 wheel drive and 53 inch tires. You would be the envy of any Wal Mart parking lot!!!
:)rotflmao :)rotflmao

Front axle
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=12479600&convertTo=USD

Rear axle
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=12479436&convertTo=USD

M & J

You do one and document the process for the rest of us to follow. :)
M & J

CapnDirk

53 inch tires and 400HP.

That's not an urban assault vehicle!  That's an RV campground assault vehicle!  F@$# those "you can't be here with faded paint and delamination"! people!!!

In addition to M&J.  Pictures!   :D
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tmsnyder

It's sad to see those go for scrap.

If I really want to build an off road RV though I'd get a surplus deuce and a half 6x6 cargo truck, multifuel, burn anything oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNaxPEyi5OA

Rickf1985

Those deuces are bringing top dollar anymore. I used to buy them for 800-1200 dollars. And the engines are getting real hard to come by, they are not all that durable. You used to be able to buy them rebuilt in the crate for 500 bucks and that has all dried up too. The deuce is not the popular vehicle it used to be. Now people are building extreme RV's from M series five tons.

I forgot to mention, the tires and wheels are also up for auction on a regular basis. They are the same tires used on the MRAP mine resistant vehicles in use today in Afghanistan.

strykersd

A few months back I sold a NP203 transfer case to a guy with 72 Winnebago (Dodge with a 727 transmission) that he was converting over to 4WD with I believe a Dana 60 front axle.  I'm curious how that turned out.  I mentioned this site to him but I don't know if he ever signed up. 

skloon

This must be where the Diesel Brothers shop

Rickf1985

Quote from: strykersd on October 05, 2017, 12:27 PM
A few months back I sold a NP203 transfer case to a guy with 72 Winnebago (Dodge with a 727 transmission) that he was converting over to 4WD with I believe a Dana 60 front axle.  I'm curious how that turned out.  I mentioned this site to him but I don't know if he ever signed up.
I think he did because I remember talking to someone doing that swap. I think I was questioning the strength of the transfer case and wondering why he did not go with a 205. So he was here.

CapnDirk

Could build one of these.   :)clap   If you get a flat, it just rotates to the next one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26n3RsXNyKE
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

Rickf1985

CapnDirk

Thanks Rick, makes sense it started as an articulating vehicle.  I noticed he was having trouble relating how it steered. 

I thought it might have started as an RV given the size and curious to know how the wheels were driven (all three, just one)  and how they rotated into place.

Rickf1985

I never saw that system in person but I studied it in theory and I figured that it would be a large compound planetary gear set and when loaded the planet set would rotate around the sun gear with a second set of planetary gears running on a central sun gear for the wheels. I always wanted to build one but alas, I do not own a full machine shop with unlimited funds.