Replacement Aftermarket PMGR mini Starter for 454!

Started by tarifachris, September 19, 2017, 11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarifachris

I had a parasitic draw on my battery and unfortunately it was my starter...

I decided to install a 50 USD mini starter from ebay and it worked out great! No shimming needed and it starts like a modern car now!
I ordered as well the original GM screws for 2,70 USD because I didn't trusted the china ones...

CapnDirk

Having more room around it helps the heat problem to.  Wish I had known before recently buying one.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

TerryH

Often wondered about these 'mini starters'. First I've read about one in an RV.

Thanks
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

I put one on the 502 in my boat many years ago. That is a lot of motor to turn and it turns it with no problem. And in a boat there is NO room to wrestle a heavy starter around. That was where I was converted to them.

tarifachris

Actually I paid only 41 usd incl. shipping...

Some more information:

legomybago

The 440 Mopar community swears by them. I've yet to put one on one of these old beastssss
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

I can't possibly imagine why any Mopar owner would ever want a hi torque starter! W% :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao
rrrr-rrrrrr-rrrrr-RRRRR, rrrrr-rrrrrr-rrrrrr-RRRR. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

EldoradoBill

Nope. Seen enough broken nose pieces in the field. I'll stick with my reman Delco thank you.

Bill

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

bluebird

Quote from: EldoradoBill on September 25, 2017, 06:03 PM
Nope. Seen enough broken nose pieces in the field. I'll stick with my reman Delco thank you.

Bill

All newer GMs use that type of starter. Even my 8.1 uses that kind of starter. They are much better and pull less amps to do the same job. I had one of those Ebay starters on my 13.8/1 race engine and it cranked it for several years. The spare starter I had for the race car will fit my Corvette, my pickup, and my MH.