Replacement Coolant overflow tank?

Started by 78BraveGuy, September 04, 2017, 07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78BraveGuy

Hi,

My coolant overflow tank on my '78 Brave with a 440 has a crack in it and doesn't hold any coolant anymore.  Does anyone know where I could get a new one?  I found a used one out of a '77 Chieftain that I swapped in, but it only lasted a short time and it let loose too.  Evidently the plastic must get pretty brittle after 4 decades!

Brian

78BraveGuy

That may work!  The original one is narrow and sits to the passenger side of the radiator.  Looks like I would probably have to mount this one in front somewhere for access purposes.

jbullet

Hi... I need one of the original coolant recovery tanks, as used on Winnebago Indians and chieftains from 1972 to 1976 or so.   It fits along the side of the radiator on the passenger side (dodge #4164117 or #3733592).   Need an original one, even if cracked or brittle, because I'm going to scan it and see if I can 3d print a new one in nylon or PE.   Can someone get me that old thing sitting in the box in the corner of the shed, or in the beater Winnie out back?   Thx Jon

LJ-TJ

i?? If you lived in Canada.  D:oH! $@!#@!

jbullet

After looking around a lot, I finally took the plunge and had a mold made of an original coolant overflow tank (see picture of original unit as scanned).  It fits alongside the radiator.   Let me know if you're interested in getting one of the new units, as I have a limited number of extra ones, and some caps.