Roof questions 92 Sunflyer - is this factory sealant?

Started by skloon, August 27, 2017, 06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skloon

Is this factory sealant ? it is on the strips running parallel to the front and rear caps- I scraped off a pile of old silicone and crap up there and re-did with Sika 221 but this stuff looked different and as I don't have any leaks in this area I wanted to leave it alone if it was from the factory

WrigleysBraveWin

Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

skloon

Some of it was, covering some screw heads- so I replaced it- I just dont want to remove it if it was from the factory as the stuff I left is really tough and attached really well, I also have to remove all the silicone somebody used to seal the clearance lights- everyone I have seen has these sealed so I assume they are a problem area

TerryH

First, yours appears to be a 1992. If your clearance lights are flush with the skin (mortise) as opposed to surface mount, expect problems. Further, interior access to the lights is non existant, unless you make your own access provision. This is a VERY common water ingress problem.
If you do in fact run into silicone used to 'seal' anything, expect problems. Silicone is far from what you want. further, it is extremely difficult to remove to a point that you can use a sealant over that will work.
Silicone will NOT seal to silicone.
If a substrate has been contaminated with silicone and not adequately prepared for an acceptable sealant after, best of luck. Buy tarps, you'll need them.
Short answer - prep, clean, prep, clean, use a poly urethane, Eternabond and then Elastomeric Roof Coating over all.
Should you wish the long answer just ask.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

skloon

Yes the lights are flush mounted- I have a leak in the front but sealed up a suspect joint on the front cap with sika 221, we then had three nights of rain with 20mm per night and not a drop in, so the lights may not leak- I have a plethora of sealants and primers, issue was somebody stole my spare ladder the first night out so I could only work from the roof itself or standing on chunks of firewood-I will try some silicone remover on the residue but will expend most of the sealant on the wires on the inside

TerryH

Not to rain on your parade :'( but a steady or otherwise rainfall will not determine the point of ingress.
You will be dealing with differing air pressure - inside and out. Warm equals higher air pressure, cold equals lower.
Ingress is somewhat given - egress can differ to a large degree.
You may have a point of leak at the third from left clearance light. Depending on conditions, it may be apparent over your stove.
Water travel is very goofy and can be a b@@#$%$ to trace.
Best defence is offence.
Includes, again, prep, clean, prep, clean, seal with proper product using correct application.
All I am trying to do here is give you the best suggestions I can based upon numerous years of experience.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

I climbed all over my roof on hands and knees with my face right down on the surface trying to find a persistent leak. Many months later by accident I found it by pulling on a loose piece of caulk and the entire length of the RV of that seam came out like a zipper! Silicone!!! It took me over a year to get that finally cleaned and sealed to the point it would not leak. Both sides of the RV at that. Silicone is bad stuff, save it for the bathroom in your house.

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on August 28, 2017, 09:58 AM
I climbed all over my roof on hands and knees with my face right down on the surface trying to find a persistent leak. Many months later by accident I found it by pulling on a loose piece of caulk and the entire length of the RV of that seam came out like a zipper! Silicone!!! It took me over a year to get that finally cleaned and sealed to the point it would not leak. Both sides of the RV at that. Silicone is bad stuff, save it for the bathroom in your house.

Silicone is a Temporary Seal, maybe ..... Silicone won't stick to itself.

skloon

i know silicone is bad- although an RV tech told me to use it to seal the fridge vent and that only- I have some DIcor self leveling and some sika 221 and some windshield urethane that I re-did the windshield seal with

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: skloon on August 28, 2017, 01:18 PM
i know silicone is bad- although an RV tech told me to use it to seal the fridge vent and that only- I have some DIcor self leveling and some sika 221 and some windshield urethane that I re-did the windshield seal with

Issue maybe pinholes in the foam, at least I believe that is some sort of foam? Silicone does have uses just not when it comes to outdoor waterproofing, I can't tell you how many times I repaired a leak that was a direct result of silicone caulk (42 year roofing career). But I would eliminate pinholes and recoat roof with a product called Lucas MicroFiber 2200 - which is an arcylic coating with fibers in it to help span and seal small voids such as the pinholes and the fibers help retard UV Rays and add strength to the finish ....

Another good coating is RPM SolarGard, similar to Lucas MicroFiber but more costly ....

Without being in the roofing business you may have a tough time securing either product, in which case, a good arcylic coating like Mule Hide A-300 Finish would work ... Mule Hide Products are available at ABC Roofing Supply .....

http://www.mulehide.com/home/elastomeric-acrylic-coating

Firestone also makes a good white elastomeric, available at ABC!

Oz

Quote from: Rickf1985 on August 28, 2017, 09:58 AM
... Many months later by accident I found it by pulling on a loose piece of caulk and the entire length of the RV of that seam came out like a zipper! Silicone!!! .... Silicone is bad stuff, save it for the bathroom in your house.

When I did mine, I found 3 kinds of tube sealant had been used.  One was very good, well sealed and very difficult to remove.  Another was mid-grade, sealed well enough, but easier to remove.  And then, I found silicone.  Just like Rick said.  Peeled off like a zipper, very easily.  And where did I find it?  On the areas I had leaks!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca