Generator slides stuck -- won't come out for service

Started by dickcarl, August 26, 2017, 01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dickcarl

Got a 7K Kohler generator on a 1987 Georgie Boy.  Tried to pull the rack out for service.  (Yes, I removed the two little bolts that secure it.)  Pull, tug, swear.  Repeat.  No movement.  Even put a comealong on a tree and put more pressure.  Nothing.

Is there possibly some kind of secondary security latch or something?  I've had several slide-out Onans, and had no trouble getting them out.
Mechanically challenged but willing to break, cross-thread or totally bugger up nearly ANY expensive component in the guise of repair.

FJR1300

Thought same with mine,..found 3 more bolts at the back of the frame hidden up a bit. removed and it slides out. Watch cables and hoses.

Don

Oz

Had the same issue with a large generator.  Same solution.  Bolts in the rear as well.  I would assume that, due to the very heavy weight of the unit, it was determined prudent to have that additional security.  Wouldn't want one of those big beasts popping out on a turn...
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

I also have three bolts on mine in the back but mine is not on slides. It has a flange that goes over the floor of the compartment and that flange will technically slide out one you also take the two bolts out of each side. In reality you need to put a floor jack under it and carefully roll it out. Have strategically placed blocks ready since it will not balance well on the jack so one hand will be pulling out and the other will be holding the unit. Unless you have help there are no hands left to place blocks.