Is an Edelbrock 7193 intake manifold good choice for a 440?

Started by budder, August 26, 2017, 03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

budder

Thinking about buying one of these    Edelbrock 7193 will they be any good on my mopar 440 powered baby rv.

nalambright

MotorPro

Not a good choice for an rv. You want a low rpm high torgue manifold not a high rpm high horsepower manifold

Rickf1985

WrigleysBraveWin

Put one on a 1970 442 Hurst olds back in the day, it did make a difference but we also changed the carb to Holley 850 double pumper and Hooker Tuned headers and Mallory dual point distributor ....

So what I am saying is just the manifold change the difference maybe small as after all we did to that Olds it seemed we shoulda got more - I mean we even scoped the darn thing and adjusted each spark plug and the difference while notable was not overwhelming.... As for better gas mileage, yes that was very notable even in the days of 35 cents gallon we tried to get better mileage than give US money to Saudi!
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

Rickf1985

And you were working on a car that weighed 6,000 lbs less! And they did not have the Performer manifolds in the 60's! They did not come out until the late 70's early 80's when gas was substantially more than .35 cents!

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on August 26, 2017, 02:54 PM
And you were working on a car that weighed 6,000 lbs less! And they did not have the Performer manifolds in the 60's! They did not come out until the late 70's early 80's when gas was substantially more than .35 cents!

it was the summer of 1971 to be exact and gas was under 38 cents gallon, per this website under 36 cents http://www.1970sflashback.com/1971/Economy.asp .... remember this was before oil embargo of 1973, gas was cheap ....

It was a 1970 hurst olds 442 bumble bee yellow with black hood strips and we put edelbrock high rise manifold on that 455 olds, for sure under 6,000 lbs .... as for the name performer manifold I don't recall the name but it was called a "high rise" manifold that claimed to help performance .....

In 1968 California started making manufactures put emission controls on cars and the 1970 year was about the last year (1972 for sure) with limited emission controls and in 1973 California clamped down big time - 1973-1974 engines were dogs, in my opinion, and the oil embargo effects were in full swing ....

Rickf1985

Yea, that was the prelude to the Torker manifold, It was a high rise high rpm manifold. That was before people even thought about low rpm torque and power. And it is a shame because that 455 was a torque monster with the right parts on it, which by the way were basically the original parts. :D Later on when Edelbrock, Offenhuauser and Weiand started doing some serious flow testing they found out about the low end manifolds.

Oz

I selected the Performer intake matched with a Performer 750cfm carb. 

[smg id=376]
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

WrigleysBraveWin

Oz

Great.  Plenty of power, able to actually accelerate up moderate inclines and hold 55 - 60 or a little better on steeper grades of moderate length and hold 50 on long, steep grades.  Trade-off... 5-6 mpg.  That's the price for power.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca