Need roof foam type and sources

Started by CapnDirk, August 24, 2017, 11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnDirk

As some of you know, I'm rebuilding the back half of my roof.  This last week I've been sourcing materials and the roof is on the ground.  The blue foam was glued to ceiling paneling, and roof paneling.  Due to moisture invasion, the luan delaminated of course.  Scraping this layer of wood off the foam will take forever.  Does anyone know what specific type of foam and density it is as well as a source?
Thanks
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Rickf1985

You may be able to get that info by calling Winnebago but I have been hit and miss with that. It depends on who you get as to whether they feel like helping you. I think you would be fine just going to Lowes or Home Depot and sourcing the highest R value high density foam board that would fit the cavity.

CapnDirk

Thanks Rick, but everything I've seen at the big box stores indicates it is polystyrene, and not the best choice structurally (as well as being reactive to many adhesives).
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

WrigleysBraveWin

Go to ABC Roofing Supply and buy Firestone 95+ Board, it is a Polyisocyanurate Board that has a cover sheet to accept adhesives and use that for the base layer and then install 1/2" Layer of Firestone HD Board for cover layer .... ALWAYS when possible use multiple layers of Insulation Board ...... A single thick layer is more prone to energy loss due to gaps between the pieces and thicker the material, the more the shrinkagie and a host of other reasons I can discuss, if interested  .... Make sure HD Board is placed closest to the cold side, not the interior - you ALWAYS want the highest R Factor Material down over your deck or substrate be your it a ceiling or whatever .....

Unless you are talking spray foam, which is an option call a professional insulator and they will spray foam right to the surface the thickness you want and once substrate is prepared the foam will stick like crazy ..... Spray foam can also add rigidity BIG TIME and you will achieve the best results with spray foam ....

But back to doityourself ..... If you have a 2" space, say, for first layer use 1 1/2" thick Polyiso board and then cover with a layer of 1/2"  IsoGard HD Board .... ABC will recommend appropriate adhesives to use and instructions on the web

http://firestonebpco.com/roofing/insulation/iso-95/

http://firestonebpco.com/roofing/insulation/cover-boards/isogard-hd-cover-board/

Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

Rickf1985

We have GOT to keep this guy around!!!

WrigleysBraveWin

Depending on your desired level of investment, the spray foam is the best solution and Coach will be tighter and much quieter!

CapnDirk

Wrigley:  Thanks for the tip on the Firestone products, I'll look into it.  I had considered the spray foam approach, but the spray foam I'm familiar with from commercial insulators is and open cell foam and hence susceptible to soaking up water like a sponge.

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: CapnDirk on August 25, 2017, 09:07 PM
Wrigley:  Thanks for the tip on the Firestone products, I'll look into it.  I had considered the spray foam approach, but the spray foam I'm familiar with from commercial insulators is and open cell foam and hence susceptible to soaking up water like a sponge.

They have a very dense closed cell like what these guys install, would be perfect for your application!

https://www.biofoamusa.com/