Does anyone know the purpose of this addition under my motorhome?

Started by K/C and Pups, August 14, 2017, 04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K/C and Pups

This item is attached underneath the rear of my motorhome. I can only assume this was added to my 1987 Holiday Rambler Imperial after purchase , and not from the factory. I cannot see any need for it, unless it is missing some other components. Some of the welds suggest who ever was doing it, could not get comfortable. The steel casters are urethane(?) lined and the crossbar spans between the frame rails. I started to remove it for easier access to do some preventive maintenance, but I have to admit I am new to the RV world, and this must have had a purpose in the past. Hope the pictures show up.
Thanks,
Charlie
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~Bertrand Russell

Rickf1985

That is there to keep from dragging the rear end on sharp entrances and exits to parking lots and driveways. Usually they are either swivel casters or heavy duty steel rollers that will also slide on asphalt. These motor homes generally have a massive amount of overhang in the rear combined with a long wheelbase front to rear and if you go into a place that suddenly goes up hill the rear end can hit pretty hard. Those do not look like they were welded well enough to take much of a hit. Mine has pretty stout steel loops coming down and one of them has a good tilt to it from hitting during a turn.

K/C and Pups

Hello Rick, As always, you are the man of the day. I did think about that, I just failed to see how they could possibly hit the ground, so I ruled that out. The install now suggest the fixture may have been re-attached due to what you suggest. I will remove the casters, do my clean-up, then rework them back in. 37 years as an ironworker, leads me to believe they would not take any kind of impact. My driveway has a fairly deep gutter in front of the sidewalk, and the first time I pulled in, I did get out and look at the clearance between the hitch extension and the street, just to be sure. The hitch has some flat bar guards designed for that purpose.
Thank you sir, glad I asked.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~Bertrand Russell

Rickf1985

Yup, those flat bars are what took a serious hit on mine somewhere along the line. The rollers should really be out closer to the corners, or as far out as you can get them on strong framework because that is the lowest part on a turn in or out. Mine had a sewer hose storage pipe under the rear bumper, well, it had 2/3 of one anyways from a turn in the came a bit close. I took my rock guard off because I got tired of listening to it grinding into the ground every time i went in or out of somewhere.

CapnDirk

Way back in Winnebago land the "engineers" designed a motorhome.  Shortly (very shortly) after they needed gas.  The driveway met the back of the motorhome and everything was history from there!   :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

Sometimes I kill me!!   :D :D :D
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"