Prepping our 76' Winnie for a 1000 mile move in the next 3 weeks!

Started by Bill Hime, August 10, 2017, 12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteNote; I do need a part number for that differential gasket.
         What type of oil should I put in that rear differential?

Dodge P/N 2952471
Felpro P/N RDS 6095-1
NAPA P/N FPG RDS60951

90 weight gear oil

CARDONE Reman Hydroboost unit 52-9393

[move][/move]

Bill Hime

And the journey begins....!

Rickf1985

Gear oil, I use 85W-140 since they are low gears and they are working pretty hard and will be running very hot. The original spec would have been straight 90 weight gear oil. Oils have progressed a lot since then. If you can't get that gasket then black RTV with no gasket works just as well. I would get along great with Scott, electrical and carburetors were my specialties when I had my shop. Always a challenge.

Bill Hime

Hey everyone!
Man a lots been happening! I have a bunch of pics to share but haven't hardly had time to keep this project post up to date! I'm on here just long enough to see any input that has been shared to keep this project moving...Thanks to everyone for your advice and thoughts!

We leave in 11 days!

Bill

Rickf1985

Ok, you checked in, NOW GET YOUR ARSE BACK TO WORK!!!!!!!! :D

Bill Hime

Rickf1985

Something to think about. Get a list of members along your proposed route of travel in case you have problems along the way. Having a helping hand can mean all the difference in a easy repair or a nightmare job at a unknown shop. It's not like you can turn around and go home!

Bill Hime

Wow Rick, that is a great idea! Would you make a general posting, how should I go about doing this?

Bill

Rickf1985

I think most of the regulars are pretty much following you as you progress through all of this. I would go to the travel section and post your general route and see who is along that route that might be willing to help in an emergency. Of coarse there may not be any members along the route but it never hurts to ask. You are not going to do this in one day so I am hoping you check in at night when you pack it in and let everyone know how things are going. You have to admit, you are starting off with a unit that is very far from roadworthy to a long trip in a REALLY short time with no exit options. We all want to see you make it with no issues.

CapnDirk

Gawd I love this.  It's like the Blues Brothers "we're on a mission for GOD", A NASA countdown!  Eleven days to launch!"  Forest Gump, one end of the country to another with people cheering him on!

Not trying to be a smart bum Bill though my name is next to theirs.  We will all help you push.  You came to the right place for help, and more importantly, friends.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Bill Hime

Thanks Rick! Yeah, "The Resurrection Tour", 76' Chief on a mission from God! Lol, I like that Dirk!
I'll clarify our route with the Chief Navigations Officer, (my wife) and make a post in travel.

So after finding a bunch of crap in the fuel filter, Mechanic Scott and I thought we'd drop the gas tanks out to flush them out. We're going to need a new float and sending unit for them...Any recommendations???

Thanks Everyone!

Bill

CapnDirk

"the Resurrection tour" I like that!  We got the band back together.  Maybe start another post on the travel part with that subject.  :)clap
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Rickf1985

As far as the gas tank, at this point I would just throw it back together and fill it up and the first tank figure no more than 6 MPG and go about 1/2 tank worth on that assumption and fill it again and that will give a better idea of true mileage and then just pay close attention to the mileage and the fill ups. I ran for many years without a working gauge on one of my vehicles. Never ran out of gas, Just watched the miles and filled up when I hit no more than 200.

Bill Hime

Hello Everyone!
Hey Dirk, that is a great idea! "The Resurrection Tour" will debut in the Travel Section very shortly  :)clap .

Rick, the good news is that after dropping the rear, larger tank, called the main tank by the manual, it was dry and clean. No flaky residue, sludge, anything inside. The float obviously wasn't functional. Our guess is that after the tank failed to register, PO stopped using it. PO stated that for last 7 yrs he only put $20.00 worth of fuel in the front, smaller tank, known as the auxiliary tank in the manual. Ironically, none of the dash gauges worked short of the odometer which was at least 10-12 mph off.
That $20.00 was all he needed to drive it across town and back for a annual music festival.
So here's where we're at on that; I have all new gauges that Scott is going to mount in a temporary dash panel. We're not dropping the front tank since it did manage to get us 50 miles home with no apparent issue. We will run off the main tank since it will read (have a new float/sending unit coming. We will have an operational switch between both tanks, using the reserve only to get us to the next fill up if necessary.
We will have half a dozen extra fuel filters with us for back up  ;)

I did have a hiccup ordering shocks..Got the wrong Monroe shocks. Ordered them through Amazon, now returning them. NAPA actually has a stock number for a Monroe shock,
Monroe RV Fleet Gas Grande #555011....This is for a front shock on 1976 Dodge M400 RV.

Problem...NAPA inventory noted the rear shock as obsolete/not available.
Also...the front and rear frame mount bolt has a bushing on it and it is not removable, its apart of the bolt.

2 Questions to all my comrades;

1.) other than Bilsteins, what shock have you successfully mounted on the rear?

2.) How do go about removing the metal bushing that comes vulcanized in the rubber bushing on the shock?

Thanks!

Bill

Bill Hime

Update!
Scott has all the lights working inside and out. Brakes are all rebuilt, Hydroboost rebuilt...Rick, I took your advice and ordered kit 501, complete rebuild kit. It came from PirateJacks.com.
I took a wire wheel to all the rims, primered them this morning.

More to come, timeline's getting tight

Bill

Rickf1985

This has got to be one for the record books. Is your current house sold?

Bill Hime

Selling the house is a long story of "I told you do", I will indulge your ears in at a later time.

Anyway, your right, Scott has been moving at an amazing pace. In fact, I've accused him of dabbling in a little black magic at times!
Today, he continues with wiring a temporary dash in with new gauges. The original dash had been butchered up and none of the gauges worked.
Annnd!! He just told me the wipers are working!! Now... I just need to find a way to attach modern wipers to the original arms I suppose!
I will get pics posted here at some point!

Thanks everybody for your help!

Bill

tmsnyder

Get AAA Premiere with RV rider.   If you can get it within 250 miles you can have them tow it the rest!

Rickf1985

Don't know if this will help with your wipers or not but check it out.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,14058.0.html

And DEFINITELY get the AAA! It will cover all of the vehicles you are moving.

Rickf1985

Well Bill, I am leaving on vacation first thing in the AM and will have little to no wifi where I am going so I hope you have a safe and uneventful trip. I think you are going before I get back on the 6th.

Rick

Bill Hime

Rick,
Thank you for everything! We wish a safe and enjoyable trip to you! We'll fill you in when you get back!

Bill & Sateash Hime

Rickf1985

Anyone heard from Bill? Last time he was on here was 9/7. Hoping he made it to his destination OK but I am thinking would would have heard from him by now.