Dining Bench Replacement

Started by Brave Sole, August 08, 2017, 01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brave Sole

We had the U shaped bench here, which took up alot of room, and not needed for just two people. So out it came. These old girls are not known for space inside! I saw this idea on the internet, and decided to do it and improvised with a shelf 4" underneath. This gives me access from the inside for small things, and seals off the compartment below from the cabin. I wrapped the shelves in vinyl and when screwed in gave a nice seal from smells and bugs. I used select pine which overall cost me around $100. Stained in Oak Polyurethane. I made the bench a bit bigger and higher, and when opened up takes the 4 cushions perfectly. The back wall needed some loving and I used the pine boarding which im not overly impressed with. Its going to come off and Ill put in a one piece panel probably polyurethaned to match. This color really brightens up the inside. All the lower cabinets/counters have been upgraded to new Oak ones, polyurethaned the same color. Ill post those pics later. All upper cabinets are staying original. 

Rickf1985

THAT is a fantastic idea and very nice work. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

M & J

Very much like a futon couch.
M & J

kenwautoone

WrigleysBraveWin

Brave Sole .... Super Nice Work, stop on by I've got a few projects for your saw .....

Only thing I would change is the finish product you are using .... Basically you are putting a plastic finish on a natural wood product ......

For a super nice finish that actually helps the wood try Tung Oil, thinned with Mineral Spirits .....  20 percent Tung oil and 80 percent mineral spirits for first coat followed by a second coat at 60/40 and a third coat at 50/50 and a final coat at 40/60 percent Tung Oil ....

The mineral spirits is the vehicle that carries the oil down into the pours of the wood, the more you thin the oil the further down into the wood it goes, on real hard woods such as Hickory or even Oak I cut 90 percent mineral spirits for the first coat and put on as many as ten coats for a super fine furniture finish ....

Besides being a natural product that helps preserve the wood, Tung oil surface does not scratch and leave marks like polyurethane ..... and to make finish look like New in X Years another coat or two, thinned, will do the trick ....

https://www.waterlox.com/tung-oil/what-is-tung-oil
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

Rickf1985

Now this is what I want to hear. Everybody wants to paint the interiors and I love the look of wood. I am getting ready to rebuild my slide in and between this and the insulation advice you are giving me all kinds of good stuff. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on August 26, 2017, 10:16 AM
Now this is what I want to hear. Everybody wants to paint the interiors and I love the look of wood. I am getting ready to rebuild my slide in and between this and the insulation advice you are giving me all kinds of good stuff. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

An old boy who made beautiful sleigh beds taught me about wood finishes .... But instead of mineral spirits he used leaded gasoline - we all know about varnish in our carbs from leaded gas .... Anyways mineral spirits or citrus based thinners work ....

RickNC

Very nice work! :)ThmbUp . I have a similar project going on and will post pics in a few days.

Brave Sole

Wrigleys, Thank you for that input, Im going to try that on the oak paneling board I have to replace that pine board. I hope it comes out to the same tone or shade as what Ive got in the cabin already. The one thing I like with polyurethane is its easy to wipe clean! 

LJ-TJ

Well for my two cents worth. Sweet! Looks great. What ever happened to the pictures of the cabinets. Hm?

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: Brave Sole on November 19, 2017, 04:14 PM
Wrigleys, Thank you for that input, Im going to try that on the oak paneling board I have to replace that pine board. I hope it comes out to the same tone or shade as what Ive got in the cabin already. The one thing I like with polyurethane is its easy to wipe clean!

Tung Oil Wipes Off Great, never had an issue .... Pic shown is some cedar on my house protected with Tung Oil, which was redone this spring 2017 with several new thinned coats, first coat was 10% Tung and 90% mineral spirits as we wanted the oil to penetrate down into the wood.

Personally I do not like the look of polyurethane but that’s just me!

L.D.

great article, I moved the benches as you did but didn't think to finish it like you. I would love to see more pictures of the interior.
where would I find some plans for the bench/bed? I have the concept but what keeps it from folding over when a sleeper rolls over in their sleep?

WrigleysBraveWin

We eliminated the table and made ours into a sofa .... Works great for Wrigley, our pup, when traveling!