Wiper arm position is annoying - right in your field of view!

Started by Blakradish, August 06, 2017, 09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakradish

Hi, I have a 72 Indian. Does anyone besides myself get annoyed with fact that the windshield wipers are constantly on your field of view?
They don't wipe nearly all of the glass, and distract from the scenery.
Has anyone attempted to address this?

boohoo222

if it dosent clean all the glass that it gos over its eather bad blades or weak spring in wiper arm
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

Oz

I believe what he means is that the area the wipers cover is very small in comparison to the amount of windshield there is rather than not cleaning the area they do cover.

The position is definitely a common annoyance!  I haven't done a change but... Jeep wranglers have always had this very same issue.  What they did to increase the cleaning area and also put the resting position down along the bottom window edge was to simply use bent angle wiper arms!  This is common on many, if not most vehicles today.

If you can find bent arm wipers to fit, you'll be much happier!

Example:
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Blakradish

Thanks OZ, you’re partially correct. The issue is that the resting blade sits almost smack dab in the middle of the Windshield! Very annoying, considering the fact that most people who buy RV’s want a view/vista/wiper bla....
You are correct about the bent arm. I purchased a pair of “factory correct” blades from the inter-web... not a chance. I had to Jerry-Rig the blades by bending the frame, pulling the rubber straight, and crimping it, so as to stay.
It works though. Now if I could only get my washers to spray high enough to do the job.

Rickf1985

If both blades are doing this then it sounds like the wiper park feature needs adjustment. If it is only one wiper are there one or two wiper motors? If two motors then the same thing, the park feature needs adjusting for that motor. This is assuming they sweep the windshield correctly.

Blakradish

Thanks Rick. I’m experimenting with removing the wipers from the toothed hub and placing it different places. I must have looked for 3-4 hours online to find this part. Then I was sent the incorrect blades. With a little fuss I got them working they’re pretty good now.

Rickf1985

Placing them in different positions on the splines will only work if they were not sweeping the windshield from side to side evenly. As you move it on the spline it will go off the windshield on one side or the other.

postman