Running on LPG gas

Started by Clyde9, November 10, 2008, 11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 5/16/2006 5:12 AM

I have just got my 73 Brave and it runs on unleaded and LPG which is good for us in England when its nearly £1 a litre of petrol here compared to £0.40p for a litre of LPG but in not sure of the size of the tank. Has anybody else run on LPG? I know mostly people from this side of the pond change what fuel they use because of costs, some have even changed the whole engine to a diesel version.

Sent: 5/16/2006 6:57 PM

You can find the tank size in gallons from this URL:
http://www.greertank.com/tankcalc.htm. And you can only fill a propane tank to about 80% of its physical capacity.

Sent: 5/19/2006 3:54 AM

cheers i will take a look

Sent: 6/28/2006 6:48 PM

I used to deliver meat, In a pickup with a cooler on the back.  It was converted to LP, I am not sure of the ? LP  gas tank size, but the gas tank was originally 25 gas gallons or so.  I sill could do the same amount of travel after the conversion, at a slighly less expense for fuel.  All they did was put the new tank in place of the gas tank, Some hoses and some special carb on the engine.    My only thought is that at least I allways started from and returned to the same location every night.  It wasn't hard to find a refill station, the same one was  used for every fill ...

Sent: 7/16/2006 6:49 AM

Grew up in Holland, and drove quite a few LPG powered vehicles. The carb stays, there's a collar that goes in between the carb and the intake manifold. Then there's a changeover switch. It's not a very compicated procedure. A friend of mine in Holland drives a big 'ol 70's Caddy around with an LPG tank in the trunk.....(yup that's where it goes.) Tagged as a collector car (and taxed accordingly) he motors for pennies on the dollar.

I bet I could get the parts to convert a motorhome fairly easily.....the only problem is that I don't think the price of LPG Stateside makes it worth doing.

Sent: 8/30/2006 7:19 PM

You know, I allway fill with gas way before I am even leary about running out.  Having the backup of LP sounds ? interesting.  A x gallon gas tank strapped on the back somewhere, like a jeep, would probably be a heck of a lot less expensive.  How much do those jeep cans hold anyway ?

Sent: 8/30/2006 7:45 PM

The "Gerry Cans" that strapped on the back of the old Willys held 5 gallons.