what size for M500 chassis rear wheel cylinder?

Started by cs641, August 06, 2017, 08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cs641

I'm getting ready to redo the entire brake system on my '76 Landau 28' which is on a 74/75 M500 chassis. I've been getting all of my info from Chieftan Dave's site and I see 2 different size wheel cylinders listed: 1&1/2" as well as 1&3/8".

The million $ question:
How can I figure out which size I need without removing the wheels and brakes?

Also, are there 2 cylinders per rear wheel on these?

Thanks!

cs641

Going to buy both sizes and return the unused.

The brake bleeder is literally right up against the spring pack. Can I extend the bleeder with a small steel hardline to make bleeding easier?

legomybago

Quote from: cs641 on August 08, 2017, 02:38 PM
Going to buy both sizes and return the unused.

The brake bleeder is literally right up against the spring pack. Can I extend the bleeder with a small steel hardline to make bleeding easier?

I worked on a 77' M500 chassis rear brakes once, all I wanted to do was bleed the system, and adjust the rear brakes. Well, I was able to bleed, but I couldn't adjust the upper brake shoe adjustment due to the spring pack! I couldn't get any kind of tool in there. The bleeder was accessible on the rig I worked on. You may want to look and see if the wheel cylinder has 2 bleed ports? Some do
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteAlso, are there 2 cylinders per rear wheel on these?

You did find this page didn't you?
http://dave78chieftain.com/TwinplexBrakes.html
[move][/move]

cs641

Yes I did and THANK YOU for putting that together.

I see the two different wheel cylinders you list, hence my question.

Good point on adjustment....that is going to suck!

cs641

Another brake question on this one. While looking in the wheel well I located the master cylinder and there is NO booster. Linkage goes straight from the pedal to the MC....am I seeing this correctly? This rig most certainly has the dual hydrovac units by the back axle.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Yes, for 73-75 M500 (RM400) that is correct

Bench bleed the pedal MC
Bleed slave MCs at both boosters
Then rear cylinders
Then front calipers
[move][/move]