D20 Tire Options - LT215/85/R16

Started by srosa707, August 08, 2017, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srosa707

Hi again!  Looking at my front tires and theres a bit of cracking on the sidewall.  I want to get these swapped out ASAP and was hoping for some advice on what tires people are running.  Currently, my rig has LT215/85/R16 tires on it now and I am pretty sure they are radials.

tmsnyder

Goodyear Commercial Tires shows that size in a load range E.  G949 and G947  But a lot of companies make that size tire in load range E.  Are they E's?

srosa707

Yes, they are load range E.  It looks like the Michelin XPS Rib looks like a decent replacement.  Has anyone used these?

srosa707

Or maybe the Michelin Defender LTX M/S?

kenwautoone

Goodyear just recently released new load range e tires for both motor home and trailer s called Endurance.American made, just put 4 on my enclosed trailer ,2 weeks ago.As they say, time will tell.I had 2 Carlisle radial tyres blow out 20 minutes apart same day.they were 5 years old.....Ken.  By the way, 225/75- 15 ....$142/ per tire ,mounted, balanced at Discount tire

Rickf1985

The 215/85r-16 is a very popular tire that was used extensively on dual wheel pickups and minidump trucks. And they are priced accordingly, look at 235/85r-16 tires. They are also inthe pickup truck light truck category but they seem to be a bit cheaper. They also have a little more load capacity due to the slightly larger size. I switched to them on my dually pickup due to price. Width on the duals was no issue.

tmsnyder

245/75r16 E's might even be more common and less money, common truck tire. 

Added benefit, the circumference will be the same as the the 215/85r16 tires so the speedometer will stay the same. 

235/85r16 tires will  lower the odometer/speedometer 4.5% b/c of bigger diameter.

Rickf1985

245's will probably be too close together in the rear duals. You never want the tires to touch. The added circumference does throw off the speedo about 5 MPH but it does lower the RPM just a hair also. It is not hard to reprogram your brain to the new speedo setting.