383 Mopar Swap Experiences?

Started by srosa707, August 06, 2017, 01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srosa707

I've been considering an engine/tranny swap and was hoping for some input from others.  Has anyone used a 383 Big Block Mopar in their rigs?  I know the 440 is factory and a common swap but I am wondering about the 383 as well.  Thoughts?

Rickf1985

I am sure Dave will chime in later and he is the Dodge man but with a torch, welder and a BFH you can do anything. My question is this, unless you already have that engine/trans combo wouldn't be much easier to find a 440 and a matching 727 in a junkyard?

srosa707

Rick,

Yes, a 440 is a popular swap combo and factory setup as well.  I am looking to add an OD so the 727 is out the door.  I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with the 383 swap.  I would hope that the smaller displacement would provide more torque than the 318 but consume less fuel than the 440.  Just brainstorming here. 

srosa707

Once concern is motor mount location.  I wonder if they are the same as the 440?

legomybago

Yes they are the same block. I wouldn't even consider a 383. Just go 440. If I were to do a 318 to 440 swap, Id buy a complete trashed out 440 Winnebago rig for little money, OR even a 413 swap. The 413 is a proven rv/industrial work horse.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

beaverman

The 413 wedge head motor was in early 70's Pace Arrows, had one many years ago, torque for days!, on thing let any big block breath easy intake and exhaust!

CapnDirk

Srosa707.  Don't know where you are but I posted something from my area with the 413.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

78BraveGuy

I have a '77 Chieftain parts rig with a 440 and 727.  If you want it, make me an offer!

Oz

Any more thoughts on this, srosa?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

srosa707

Not lately.  Life has gotten in the way so the motor swap idea is on the back burner.  Im going on a trip this weekend though so I am sure when I get back I will hate the 318 again  :)rotflmao   

Honestly, I am leaning towards the 5.9 Cummins swap.

hest_c

Quote from: 78BraveGuy on September 04, 2017, 07:53 PM
I have a '77 Chieftain parts rig with a 440 and 727.  If you want it, make me an offer!

You still have the 440 and 727? We just bought a 1970 D24 with the 318 and it sure isn't going to work in these Colorado hills! If you still have it and aren't too far away PM me and let me know as I'm looking for the 440!

LJ-TJ

KISS! Just stay with the 440-3/ 727 tranny. It's affordable and doable. There are Cummins swaps on this site. If you think you got trouble now wait till you try to do a Cummins swap. 318 will do you just fine it just doesn't have a lot of poop. You'll get there just not quickly. Hm? and you sure ain't going to do a lot of passing. You will probable get passed a lot but it won't be you doing the passing. :)rotflmao