No Power to Front Running Lights - 74 Brave

Started by SR66, July 31, 2017, 11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SR66

Rear running lights work fine but nothing on the front is lighting up.

Have looked at wiring diagram until I can't see straight. What a jumbled mess of lines and numbers that don't seem to match whats under the dash.

Another confusing issue is a wire may start off as one color and then be connected up to another color. Hard to keep track of whats what.

The wires at the top running lights are black & green but I have yet to figure out just where they run to under the dash because I am sure they are some other color at that point.

I found the relay but its been no help either.

Any suggestions where I should be looking?

Warren

Been a few months since I had the same problems on a 72 Brave.   Wow, what a mess from previous owners.    Remove that drivers seat.  Get a good light to illuminate the under dash area.  Lay on your  back.  I did this for hours and hours.    Make your own wiring diagram.   What goes in and what goes out to where for each item on the dash panel.  This will help in the long run.   To help keep track of wires that change colors during its route, I used colored electric tape, and
wire number markers.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Wire-Marker-Booklets-10-Pack-44-102/100118882

The running lights on the 72 Brave I worked on, some did illuminate, others did not.  At the running light check which wire is ground by doing a continuity test.  Then find if you  have 12 volts to one of the wires.   A test light or meter can determine.  I prefer a meter so that I know if it is 12 volts.  Also the light themselves could be so badly corroded that they do not light.   Grote makes the best in quality for those running lights.   Took some time and patience, and all the running lights are brite.   
Keep us informed of your progress. 

TerryH

The norm for 12V problems such as you have is to check your grounds. 95% of the time, that is where you will find what is wrong.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

SR66

Yep sure enough it was a bad power connection at the upper drivers side light where the wires come in.

The light right above the drivers side sliding window. Its oval shaped and has 2 bulbs in it. The power wire connection is in there.

Cleaned it up and everything is working fine.