I could use some buying advise and opinions

Started by RickNC, July 28, 2017, 10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickNC

Started seriously looking at motorhomes a few weeks ago. We know what we want. Class a under 28' and under $25K. I like Winnebago and Fleetwood. Not looking to fulltime, just long weekends and a month long road trip maybe every year. Looked at 2 newer Itasca 2002 and 2003 in the $20K range. One was rusting out underneath( from NY) and the other had two slide outs that sounded like trouble in the making.

What we did find and have been liking is a 1994 Warrior 23 with 26,700 miles on it. perfect size for the two of us and our rugrat dog.  Drove fine. Liked that I could make a u-turn in a two lane intersection. Engine cold started well tranny shifts smooth and stove,frig a/c plumbing and genny are all working well.

Body and roof look good, no signs of leaking or bulges in the side panels. no staining on headliner. Underneath no signs of leakage and no rust. Front bumper right side cover has chipped out section on lower right. I could repair or get new corner($100)

Interior is ok, just old so it will need new carpet and flooring. front seats are stained but I think they might clean up.

Seller is wanting $10K for it. I offered 8K and he didn't want to meet 1/2 way at 9K. NADA gives a range of $9000-$11000.  $10k seems a bit high for a 23 year old motorhome.  I'm sure between redoing the interior and replacing every belt and hose plus all the other problems likely to pop up I'm probably going to be in it another $3K. I can do all the work.

What do you all think about the price?,

Hobbes

Seems a bit high, but  the question you should be asking instead is what's it worth to you?

Rickf1985

What chassis is it on? Ford and John Deere tend to have issues with parts and when you do find them they can be expensive. I am talking suspension and brake parts, the engine stuff is common. I can tell you that the Fleetwood brand is not what you would call high quality construction. All of the older Fleetwood products I have seen (I have a Fleetwood slide in) have had leak issues and quality control issues as far as structural problems over time. Fleetwood makes Southwind and Pace Arrow.

RickNC

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 28, 2017, 11:53 AM
What chassis is it on?

The Winnie is on a p30 chassis. The Fleetwoods aren't my favorite, I am considering a late 90's Flair if a nice one came along

RickNC

Quote from: Hobbes on July 28, 2017, 10:56 AM
Seems a bit high, but  the question you should be asking instead is what's it worth to you?

Worth 9K to me. The guy is selling it for his mother, I'll wait and see if she gets involved and prefers cash over hoping for a better offer.

MotorPro

Check the date on tires and if over 6 years plan the cost of new tires into what it is worth

Rickf1985

Quote from: MotorPro on July 28, 2017, 01:29 PM
Check the date on tires and if over 6 years plan the cost of new tires into what it is worth

Very good point! When I bought mine the tire were 8 years old but it had been sitting for 4 years. Top of the line Michelins. No cracks or any signs of wear so I drove it the 90 miles home. When I climbed under it at home to look at something else I damn near died! Those tires had almost come apart! I have since found out that the Michelins are the worst for age wear but still, they LOOKED good before rolling them and then they came apart. I was very lucky one of them did not blow out.

RickNC

Got a call from the seller $8500. Picking it up next week. :)

As for tires the fronts are less than 1 year old and the rears are dated 5 years old. It's 95 miles from home so I'll take it easy.  I'll buy new rears right away.

TerryH

Looks good in the photo.
Only thing I see (and may be just the photo) is a section of de-lam above the rear of the driver side wheel well, slightly angled towards the lower rear corner of the driver side window.
Common spot for water ingress that may develop into de-lam.
Based upon experience.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Depending on what tires are on it they may be good. Look real close between the treads for any cracks and on the sidewalls. I put Samsons on mine about five years ago now and they are holding up fine. I was told they would hold up much better age wise that most because Samsons background is in truck and trailer tires that sit in lots for years and have to be able to stand up to it.

RickNC

Quote from: TerryH on July 29, 2017, 01:19 AM
Looks good in the photo.
Only thing I see (and may be just the photo) is a section of de-lam above the rear of the driver side wheel well, slightly angled towards the lower rear corner of the driver side window.
Common spot for water ingress that may develop into de-lam.
Based upon experience.

Just came back from dropping off a deposit and paperwork. Must be a shadow or something in the picture, It is flat and tight in that area.

RickNC

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 29, 2017, 09:16 AM
Depending on what tires are on it they may be good. Look real close between the treads for any cracks and on the sidewalls. I put Samsons on mine about five years ago now and they are holding up fine. I was told they would hold up much better age wise that most because Samsons background is in truck and trailer tires that sit in lots for years and have to be able to stand up to it.

The rears are drive-able but are showing signs of drying out. They really should be replaced IMO. I'm just going to take it easy when I drive it home.

TerryH

Quote from: RickNC on July 29, 2017, 07:15 PM

Just came back from dropping off a deposit and paperwork. Must be a shadow or something in the picture, It is flat and tight in that area.

:)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Hobbes

Rickf1985

That is a reflection of someone in shorts. Looked like delam to me to.

RickNC

Well that didn't go well. Title is a mess because of an estate issue.  $@!#@!  I got my money back and I am searching again.  If anyone sees or hears of a Class A Winnebago Warrior, Brave or Itasca Passage 23-26' prior to 1999 for sale on the east coast please let me know.

Rickf1985

Well that sucks! I assume there was no chance it was going to be resolved. Sounds like one of those "what do you mean you sold it! Grandpop told me it was mine?!" Type of deals.

RickNC

Quote from: Rickf1985 on August 01, 2017, 09:11 PM
Well that sucks! I assume there was no chance it was going to be resolved. Sounds like one of those "what do you mean you sold it! Grandpop told me it was mine?!" Type of deals.

The father owned the RV in his name only. He died in March but they didn't file the will until June. They went to their lawyer yesterday to get the title and a bill of sale notarized so they could transfer to me. That is when they found out they have to wait until probate is through to transfer the title. That can take anywhere from a couple months to a year. I can take part fault for not scrutinizing title closely before hand.  If they get it straightened out before I find another RV I'll buy it.

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: RickNC on August 01, 2017, 10:05 PM

The father owned the RV in his name only. He died in March but they didn't file the will until June. They went to their lawyer yesterday to get the title and a bill of sale notarized so they could transfer to me. That is when they found out they have to wait until probate is through to transfer the title. That can take anywhere from a couple months to a year. I can take part fault for not scrutinizing title closely before hand.  If they get it straightened out before I find another RV I'll buy it.

Hum, curious happenings ..... Ask the Estate if you can "lease with option to buy" until Probabte gets settled. Looks like a nice RV that is priced very fair and all the Estate wants is the money. I had a similar thing happen with a piece of land that connected to my yard - Estate took offer and when Estate Settled we closed deal for agreed amount - Just the threat filing law suit against Estate and following thru with a $150 letter from Attorney pushed Estate into deal.
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

RickNC

Funny you should bring that up. I got a call from the estate's lawyer 3 hours ago saying he just got the motorhome released from probate and asked if I was still a buyer. We agreed to meet at his office at 11 am tomorrow.

My wife already named it. She calls it  "Sunbeam" because it looks like a bread truck. I'm curbing my enthusiasm until when and if it is in my driveway.

Rickf1985

I have LOTS of names for mine, none of them printable on a family site. You WILL acquire a list of your own believe me.

WrigleysBraveWin

Great News - Good Deal .... And yea, let wife name it, I like Sunbeam! For sure Estate came to their reason ..... Money is much easier to divide than an RV or Land.
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

RickNC

Just got home with it. Their lawyer walked us and the paperwork over to DMV and was out in 20 mins with plates and title in my name. 150 mile drive home, no breakdowns, no drama.  :)

M & J

M & J

Rickf1985

It's nice that the lawyer went to DMV with you, most of the time you are on your own and there are ALWAYS issues with estate sales. Back and forth, back and forth.