Has it been done, can it be done? Towing a 80s 4x4 Chevy Suburban four down

Started by RedneckExpress, July 26, 2017, 07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedneckExpress

Just wondering, is it possible to flat tow a 1984 Chevy K10 4x4 Suburban four down without having to disconnect the drive shafts? 

She has the 700R4 automatic, NP208 Transfer case and auto engage locking hub front axle.  Looking to use her as our Toad behind the Power Wagon and Amerigo. 
Follow along with me as I full-time the Redneck Way in [url=http://

Rickf1985

I am pretty sure you can by throwing the transfer case in neutral, It has been a long time since I have been into a 205 but I can find out for sure for you tomorrow. That is a HEAVY toad behind a really HEAVY camper!!! Are you going to run auxiliary brakes in the toad? Otherwise you will never stop all that weight going down a good hill. Or in a panic stop.

RedneckExpress

Yeah, going to add some before we start, and she doesn't weight alot more than the boat I used to drag around (which had no brakes either).    We figured when we got to grade areas, we'll unhitch and drive them over in tandem rather than force the Dodge to try and drag them both up the hill. 

We did some upgrades to our brakes on the Dodge to boost her braking capacity beyond factory (large hydraulics, better braking surfaces, etc...), but given its a requirement to have toad brakes in all the states, we'll likely add an aftermarket unit to do brake assist.  Kinda wish they made a dual driven wheel cylinder for the rear drum brakes, so that it could be driven by the vehicles hydraulics, or by electric like a standard trailer drum brake when being towed.  :)

RedneckExpress

I'm also wrong on the transfer case model, she has the NP208, not the Np205.   Flip Flopped the models.  1981, they switched ot the Np208 which has a rear shaft driven lubricating pump. 

Rickf1985

I was wondering about the transfer case but you stated 205 so I just figured it had been swapped in since that was pretty common. I see where you asked Kevin about his blazer so you should get the answer you need from him but I will ask my tranny guy tomorrow about towing the 208.

M & J

I think I remember hin saying he pulled the rear drive shaft. Unlocked the hubs in front.
M & J

Rickf1985

I posted this as a reply on Kevins thread but it is probably better here.

The 205 is a gear driven, indestructible case and can be towed in neutral. I thought you had it figured out so I did not get hold of my transmission guru friend. He has been doing nothing but rebuilding transmissions for his whole life so he will know the ins and outs of towing a 208. I have seen custom rears with hubs and and lockouts on them but that is not going to come cheap. If you upgraded the rears to one ton units from a 3/4 or 1 ton pick up then you could get custom axles and locking hubs for the 14 bolt rear. 

RedneckExpress

I've got this question open in a couple places, one side says the NP205 is the one that has to be disconnected because the lubrication is driven off the input coming from the motor and the NP208 can be towed without a disconnect because the lube pump is attached to the rear drive shaft, so it runs as long as the wheels are turning. 

It sounds like in fact that the reverse is true? 

This is what has me confused:

Quote from: 1320FastbackNP205 should not be flat towed unlike the NP208.

The 205 is splash lubricated off the front drive and the 208 has a pump that connects to the rear output.

Rickf1985

Waiting for a return call from my tranny guy. will let you know.

Rickf1985

Got the call back, you are only working with residual oil in the transfer case on the rear output so when towing it is best to pull the shaft if going any distance. There is no rear pump. Some older automatic transmissions have rear pumps but not transfer cases.

tmsnyder