Ignition key courtesy light "function mode"

Started by Xbird, July 06, 2017, 09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xbird

Odd title I know. Right next to the hazard knob i have a little cylinder light that lights up the ignition key area. It decided to start working tonight, but it is intermittent. Is it supposed to turn on/off by pull/push method, and any idea if it's wired in with door, headlight switch etc.?
the push pull method doesn't always shut it off and i've had a battery bleed down issue unless i use my cut-off switch that kills power to the primary fuse block etc. Thinking this lil bugger may have been my culprit. 

CapnDirk

Picture?

Sounds like an aircraft instrument light. Instruments  were not back lit, but a post with an eye pointed at the area to light.  Came on with "instrument lights" and dim able.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Elandan2

On any vehicles I've had, that light comes on when the driver's door is opened and stays on for a predetermined time. If it is working intermittently, it may have a loose connection or the timer is bad.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Xbird

It's a little "post" style like you mention dirk. it wasn't working in conjunction with the interior on/dimmer function of the headlight switch and was staying on door opened or closed. Sounds like eldan may have it with the bad timer idea, i didn't think about watching it in that manner. It does move in and out a little bit in a push pull manner and also rotates about 15 degrees, but that may just be the way the "cover" is made. 

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

CapnDirk

Xbird:  Does sound like what I described.  Rotate the opening in the side to direct the light, and in/out to adjust the intensity although it would not be necessary if on the dimmer circuit.  Could be just the bulb with a bit of corrosion.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Xbird

Turns out eldan nailed it, runs off a timer on the door, wife sitting in the driver's seat that night that i "discovered it and opening the door a couple times while i was trying to move it kind of got thing confused. Shuts off after 30 seconds and seems to be working properly.

Rickf1985

That's it, blame the wife. When she reads this you are going to look funny with the wires from the light hanging out of.......................... well, you know where they will be hanging from! W% :)rotflmao