Opinions about shrouding exhaust manifold

Started by bearingsmith, July 18, 2017, 07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearingsmith

We have a 1982 Dodge Brougham 20 ft with 440-3.
Why not cover/shroud the passenger side exhaust manifold with aluminum sheeting?
There will be ample room between the shroud and the manifold for air flow.
The rocker cover gets so hot that paint burns off.
I also plan on sliding 1/2 flex conduit over the steel fuel line.
Your comments pro/con will be appreciated.

Rickf1985

I am not going to offer an opinion on the manifold shroud since I am not real familiar with the Dodge layout but conduit over the fuel line will trap heat that would normally be swept away by ambient airflow even if it is hot air. Any air is better than no air and aluminum conduit will conduct heat inside very quickly. Better to reroute the fuel line away from the heat than to try to block the heat.

bearingsmith

Thanks Rick.
Going to scrap the conduit idea,

Rickf1985

If you are having vapor lock issues be sure your fuel pump is in good condition. Just remember that this unit ran the same line configuration for 30 plus years without problems. Granted the alcohol in the gas these days lowers the boiling point a little but not much so a weak fuel pump may be an issue. Something to test.

Elandan2

You could always try these gaskets. Felpro MS90425.

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

bearingsmith

RCND

Howdy All:

Today's gasoline has more aromatics in it for emissions reasons and to give a reasonable octane rating, if you can call 87 octane reasonable. 85 in my part of the country (SIGH).

Our older rigs have a fuel pump that draws fuel from the tank (SUCTION), this only exasperates the problem. The suction drops the pressure causing the fuel to flash to a gaseous state (LOWER VAPOR PRESSURE).

Modern fuel injected engines have the fuel pump at/or in the fuel tank. This keeps the fuel under pressure in a liquid state to the injectors.

The cure is an electric pump mounted close to the fuel tank. Also keeping the metal fuel lines in the engine compartment from touching hot parts of the motor. Using the woven insulating sleeves on the hard line will also help.

As a side note, the reduced specific gravity of modern fuel, may cause your engine to run lean. This may explain your excessive  exhaust manifold temperatures. Shielding the manifolds is not a bad idea. Jetting up the carburetor will drop the exhaust temperatures and give a little better economy, as well as keep your engine from having a meltdown.

Check your spark plug colors, should be a nice chocolate color after a hard run.

Take care.
Robert