dog house removal 1995 Itasca 23rc

Started by Idahored, July 18, 2017, 04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idahored

I was planning on removing the dog house (for the first time) to change the air filter, but ran into a situation. The manual says to remove 2 bolts on each side of the dog house, but there are no bolts are to be found, but,, there is a bolt hole on the back side which accepts a hex (allen) wrench, which I assume would allow me to remove it. Even so, the seats look like they would be in the way to pull the dog house out, so I could get at the air filter. Maybe it just looks that way? So, anyone familar with this set up ? TIA
Idahored
Mtn Home, Id
Idahored
Mtn Home, Id
1995 Itasca Passage 23RC

Rickf1985

Usually you have to come back just enough to clear the dash and then tip up the front and lift it up and over the seats. Not a whole lot of fun but you don't have to do it all that often. Mine has four bolts, two on either side. They all seem to be different.

EldoradoBill

There's usually a flap of carpeting covering each of the bolts. Look closely.

Bill

TerryH

Quote from: EldoradoBill on July 18, 2017, 07:13 PM
There's usually a flap of carpeting covering each of the bolts. Look closely.

Bill

Quite normal.
I added a couple of those old style leather type strap handles to mine. Gives me an extra degree of handling and do not interfere with accessing the seats.
It is, as Rick said, not a whole lot of fun, but once you do it remember where you positioned the seats and the successful route for the dog house removal/replacement. Can be a bit of a puzzle first time.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

TerryH

Additionally it is quite important that you know how to remove the dog house and do it quickly. Depending on your knowledge and ability with servicing engines there are numerous possible occasions when you have to remove it NOW. With a proper fire extinguisher at hand.
Also important is to plan an egress route for all in the RV in the case of an under dog house emergency that you cannot deal with but requires you get the hell out.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Which means it is a good idea for the passenger to already be out of the seat before removing the dogbox. If there is an engine fire they have nowhere to go but over it. Most drivers have a door, or at least a lot of the newer ones do.

TerryH

Albus Dumbledore

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca