Recharing Air conditioner?

Started by Bill Hime, July 17, 2017, 08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Hime

My 76 Chieftain has a Coleman Mach "EL" RV series roof air unit. It seems to run smoothly but does not put out cold air. Can this unit be recharged? If so, do I need to access it from up on top or inside RV?

Thanks!

Bill Hime
And the journey begins....!

M & J

Top side. But doubt it has a service port. Many find the compressor starter caps need to be replaced.
M & J

Bill Hime

Hello friends,
I'm going to open this topic back up. Has anyone ever had their roof air conditioner recharged?

we just discovered that our newly purchased 76' Chief has no air compressor or guts coming off the engine  :'( $@!#@!

Bill

cook elandan

Yes, had both unit recharged after installing a valve to charge. also installed hard start caps.

Bill Hime

Cook,
Is that something you did yourself? I see you have a much newer rig than I do. Please elaborate on what you did, parts, etc...

Thanks!
Bill

Froggy1936

What type of refrigerant did you recharge with on the roof unit ? R 22 is not available ?  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Bill Hime

Hey Frank,
Do you just have to replace these old Coleman units??

Bill

CapnDirk

Bill:

If you consider the cost of servicing/repairing the old unit (couple hundred dollars considering the R22 freon/labor at least, and very old mechanical parts) and the fact that they all fit a 14X14 hole, it might be a better deal to replace with a newer used unit (craigslist?).
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"