Missing generator?!!

Started by Bill Hime, July 17, 2017, 08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Hime

So I just bought a 76 Winnebago Chieftain. There's no generator in the storage compartment. What would your recommendations be for a modern replacement to install?

Thanks in Advance!

Bill Hime
And the journey begins....!

enigma960080

Too bad you're so far away... I'd make you a GREAT deal on a 6.5 Emerald 3 plus one for parts....
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

plockit007

Hi Onan 5k works really good. I have a dc25cl all original stuff works just fine..  Happy RVing :angel:

Rickf1985

Modern replacements would cost probably twice what you paid for the coach so is it feasible to put in a new one? There are a lot of older Onan's for sale out there but they can be pricey to maintain. I don't think there are any portable units that can be safely mounted and run in the cabinets because of exhaust and ventilation. Plus you will need to remove to fill the gas tank. Just some things to think about , and someone else to talk to. ;)

Froggy1936

If you dont mind rope starters there are a lot of options in the $200,00 to $500.00 price ranges , They can be hooked up to main fuel tank (separate pump req)  And you will have to engineer an exaust syestem  But they work well . I have the Honda for sale $300.00  Top picture , More info in projects section !Frank 
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

Personally I would stick with the 4K onan. If you keep an eye on Craigs list you can pick them up for some were around $2 to $3 hundred dollars. Like Rick and Frank say's the newer units aren't designed to work in and enclosed space. The 4 is the perfect size. The 5 you can run everybody in the camp ground off. :)rotflmao

Bill Hime

Sorry for late response guys! Storms took out our power for last 3 days. We've been cutting downed trees blocking our quarter mile driveway.
Was forced to buy a generator today online...nothing left in the stores. Got a Generac GP3250 for $325. Not what I wanted for the Chief but we needed something. Long story short, my son and I have been gathering survival supplies all day....We get home at 6pm.. the powers back on....! Mixed blessing right?

Enigma - How far away "too far"?

007 - Is that a tease or an offer???

Froggy - If I'm RVing it, I'm not pull starting anything  N:(

LJ-TJ - 4k-5k  Onan sounds like where I want to be for sure!

I'm not afraid to put money into this rig. Goal is to leave to outside looking a little sketchy and completely redoing the interior with new appliances, seating, lighting, rearranging the layout. Make her mechanically strong and up to date.
With that said, Rick, a $3,500.00 Onan will cover a lot of those other expenses!

Bill
And the journey begins....!