Need Power Steering Pump - 1968 w/318

Started by The Retronaut, July 03, 2017, 05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Retronaut

Does anyone know where I could locate a new power steering pump for my 68' D22?  It goes onto a 318.  The NAPA guys are stumped, and I have scoured the interwebs.

Rickf1985

That mounting arrangement is really strange looking, actually the back of the water pump looks kind of strange. Can you show a little more of a zoomed out pic of the top front of the engine as it sits now? I am just trying to see if different brackets and pump from a truck would maybe work.

The Retronaut

The first 3 are as best as I could get of the engine where it goes.  The last one is how the brackets attach to the pump.
It mounts into the round hole, and the slot in the top bracket.

Rickf1985

Dave, Help me out here, is it me or is that water pump mounted kind of high? I have replaced an awful lot of water pumps on 318/360's and I do not remember that shape or height on a van or pickup truck? I am wondering if he can use a power steering pump from a van or pickup with the associated brackets. They are all over the place and easy to find.

cook elandan

What is wrong with the pump?  Are you able to buy a rebuild kit for it?

Elandan2

Since it is a '68 motorhome, it is possible it is sitting on a '67 chassis and may have a "Poly" 318 rather than a more modern "LA" engine. That would explain the differences in the mounts, but whether a pump and mounts from an "LA" engine would fit or not would be the question.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

Good point Rick, I did not think about that, The later pumps mount on the head and water pump. That pump just looks strange to me, almost like a special pump with a raised impeller and fan. Most of the 60's Mopar engines I worked on were big block race engines so I am not real familiar with the small blocks of that era. For some reason I was thinking his was a 76? Dyslexia strikes again. W%

The Retronaut

thanks a ton guys.  You've really helped out a lot.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

bobz

.....I realize that this is a dated post....but others might take note: I recently rebulit my 1969 d22 p/s pump. NAPA had a kit...P/N NPS7-106...included o-rings,gaskets,seals,etc......about $17bucks....looks IDENTICAL to that one