Well then... Hello World!

Started by Gregwarro, June 23, 2017, 12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregwarro

Found this forum as I was searching for Information on a 1979 Apollo. Just back from a camping trip this week and my wife and I decided an RV was in our future. So I Took a look on Craigslist. and Found an Apollo... for $100

I took a look this afternoon and while she needs a bit of clean up and looks like the tires have some dry rot.

Been sitting for 5 years since its owner had to go to assisted living. All the Gas was drained so I am hoping that with the proper prep she will fire up again without much trouble.

Seems to be in pretty good shape for her age, and I like the classic look. but it will be a bit of a project as there are a few things on the list that need to be done. Repaint the interior, remove carpet, reupholster seating. Maybe a paint job.

Good shape, but dated and old.

I'm having it towed to our house tomorrow or Saturday.

I'll post some pictures when she gets here.  :)

Excited and a little worried haha.

Greg

CapnDirk

It's a hobby, an experience, an education, and a creative outlet in general.  I will frustrate and tax your patience, and then you get to sit next to it in some beautiful place and say unlike most "I created THIS".  As opposed to those hoity toity half million dollar "band bus" people that bought it and are clueless  :)clap

Welcome!  Please read the forum rules, especially the part about the new guy buying the beer.   :D

"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao O Boy! You poor guy. Your done like a dinner. But on the on the bright side at the least you got a bunch of other nuts to hang with. I think you'll find we pretty much got everything you can think of covered and if not there's probably somebody here who can find out for you. Here's my two cents worth, again were not short on opinions. Start small, one project at a time to completion. If you start to many projects at a time you'll get overwhelmed and she'll become a lawn ornament. As soon as you can get her out to the local camp ground for an over nightr or a weekend take her out. It refreshes and rejuvenates the sole. Congratulations and welcome to the nut house. D:oH!

Rickf1985

VERY first thing is to go over and clean and seal the roof and windows and do NOT, EVER use silicone!!!! Roof leaks are the downfall of all motorhomes, all campers for that mater. And using silicone to fix leaks gives people a false sense of security, the stuff does not hold and then after that nothing you put on will adhere to the old silicone without EXTENSIVE work to remove all traces of the silicone.

Gregwarro

So far this is my plan:

Get it home.. hahah

After its here it will be stuck as a turd between me and my shop so getting it to move will be a priority.

I checked in all cabinets and areas of the roof for leaks and did not see any water marks so I think I am safe there (for now) but giving the roof a good thorough inspection will be next on the list.

After that a good cleaning. It has sit for 5 years and its very dusty and has many dead flies on the floor.

Then I will test the electrical and water systems.

Check the Drive train service the brakes replace any work out tires

Once I have everything working I will take it on a local trip....

I am guessing this will be next summer hahaha.

Thanks for the tips guys glad to know I found the right place.  :)

Rickf1985

A  lot of the leaks are in the window frames and the damage is under the windows in the walls and floors so there is another place to check.

Froggy1936

On Getting ready for the road Replace the tires LAST , Just before going on first trip, As they will only last 7 to 10 yrs Before cracks show up, This is planned obsolesence There is nothing you can do to extend time till next replacement . So put them on when you are ready to use them ,  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Gregwarro

Picked up the owners manual today and the title. I was committed to buying it yesterday but now it is officially my headache to deal with now  :)rotflmao

I looked it over a bit more without an owner watching me this time haha. Forgot to check yesterday but the old girl still has her generator which is a plus  :)clap

Seems to be in good shape but the drivers side must get a fair bit of shade as it has some moss growth that will need to be dealt with. Pas that I am hoping the paint will buff up a bit. but if not we will have to think about a paint Job. The Trim also needs replaced.

But all of the cosmetic stuff will have to wait until I get her operational.

I snapped a few pics for you all and for documentation. Could not get the drivers side well because of the way it was parked. But here she is

1990HR

Fun times. I would go through and check everything and write down what does not work.
Prioritize the list and start fixing it.
I'm sure it smells old and musty inside, ours did.
But after we remodeled the inside the motorhome smells new.
It's a lot of work but at the same time it's a lot of fun.

Gregwarro

So, fun times at the DMV today. Tried to put the old girl in my name. BUT. since the listed value was way above what the selling price was I have to fill out some form to saw what is wrong with it. or pay the $8000x.085 in taxes.

AND since the original title did not have a weight I need to get a curb weight of the thing as well. I am sure the wrecker will be happy to stop by a weight station "on the way" home.

Meh.

Rickf1985

That will involve him setting it down on the scales so be prepared for a substantial increase in the towing bill. Unless he is willing to go back through the scale after dropping it off and send you a copy of that slip so you can figure out the weight minus his truck. And setting it down he will have an undertow rig on there and it will be chained up, he is not going to unchain it just for that so unless he is very carefully watching for just the point where the weight comes off the rig then you could either be light due to still being on the rig or worse be very heavy because the rig is pulling down on the axle. Be sure you discuss this with him before he hooks up.

Book value is 8 grand on a 79?!!!!

Just show them the same pics you showed us and say THIS is why it is cheap.

Damn, I wonder what my 89 is worth? :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

CapnDirk

Greg:   What state are you in?

I'm in Wa$ington and they pull the same S!@T here.  What is really annoying is that they use some third party outfit to value it.  Not Kelly blue book, or Edmonds, or NADA but some other outfit that runs higher on its values than any of the decades old norms.

I said to the young lady "so the state chose some outfit that has inflated values so Washington could get more sales tax?" She gave me a sly smile and said yes.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

Gregwarro

Yep I am in Washington. Good thing for me I got the paperwork signed by the seller. So that part is done. I did find this site: http://http://www.rvvaluesonline.com Which does list the weights of 1978 and 1979.  which from what I can tell have the same body and chassis as mine.

So I am hoping they will accept that as the weight. Although 13,400 on a vehicle with a GVWR of 14,500 seems a bit heavy. 

legomybago

Quote from: CapnDirk on July 04, 2017, 07:32 PM
Greg:   What state are you in?

I'm in Wa$ington and they pull the same S!@T here.  What is really annoying is that they use some third party outfit to value it.  Not Kelly blue book, or Edmonds, or NADA but some other outfit that runs higher on its values than any of the decades old norms.

I said to the young lady "so the state chose some outfit that has inflated values so Washington could get more sales tax?" She gave me a sly smile and said yes.

I bought and sold a lot of old cars and trucks when I lived in WA, when they started taxing us on "book" values instead of what the bill of sale said, I freaked. I would get part vehicles and they would try and charge you "show car" sales tax rates?? BS....BUT they do have a form you can fill out explaining the condition and why you are paying a low price, then they should only charge you what you actually paid for the rig. Its been over ten years though since I've had to deal with WA DMV.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

CapnDirk

Greg:  What part of Wa$hington?  You did know they doubled our gross vehicle weight tax last year?  $@!#@!

Lego:  I hear ya.  Buy something with a blown motor and they want sales tax on $3000 not the $300.  They also want you to get a builder inspected by the state patrol with all your receipts for parts.  Waiting time for the inspection by the state patrol can be 3 - 4 weeks.  You pay $50 for the inspection on top of the titling and license, and the state patrol is Pi#$$ed because the state throws the money into the general fund.  State patrol does the work, and covers the financial overhead, and the state gets the money, not the state patrols budget.

LJ-TJ

Yeah gotta love Canada. 8% sales tax or receipt value and that's the end of it for life. D:oH!

legomybago

QuoteLego:  I hear ya.  Buy something with a blown motor and they want sales tax on $3000 not the $300.  They also want you to get a builder inspected by the state patrol with all your receipts for parts.  Waiting time for the inspection by the state patrol can be 3 - 4 weeks.  You pay $50 for the inspection on top of the titling and license, and the state patrol is Pi#$$ed because the state throws the money into the general fund.  State patrol does the work, and covers the financial overhead, and the state gets the money, not the state patrols budget.

Wow, it's gotten even tougher...I moved to OR in 2005. I used to just be able to write down a description like (the truck has a blown motor), and they would then use my 300 $ bill of sale paid price. One thing I've always blown steam over is paying tax over and over again on used cars....I thought double/triple/quadruple taxation was illegal. I got over this by moving to OR, now I complain about them not letting me pump my own gas.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

I thought NJ was the only state that did not let you pump your own gas?

plockit007

WOW!!!! $100.00 what a steal.... :)clap :)clap Welcome to the club. Keep looking for RV stuff on youtube and you will find lots of things that you can do. Don't leave the Winter work out. I'm sure you will have lots of snow days and with a good heater you can do lots of small stuff and remodeling.

Pictures are a must..we all share ideas from different RV models. Have Fun time with the (New) rig.

Gregwarro

It was an adventure but I got the old girl home

Wrecker came from a few hours away.  Had pull me out to the street with a chain. This is when I found out she has no brakes. Luckily the e-brake still worked. I was surprised but the wrecker really had no problem getting it in my driveway. Which is pretty narrow and on a city street.

However this brings up some new problems. I now have a 30ft whale between me and my shop, the engine is pointed away from the shop, and the driveway it sits in leaves little room for brake work. Not to mention that my wife has other projects more important to her than the motorhome lol.

Gotta keep it interesting though, right?

Gregwarro

Quote from: CapnDirk on July 06, 2017, 09:12 PM
Greg:  What part of Wa$hington?  You did know they doubled our gross vehicle weight tax last year?  $@!#@!

Lego:  I hear ya.  Buy something with a blown motor and they want sales tax on $3000 not the $300.  They also want you to get a builder inspected by the state patrol with all your receipts for parts.  Waiting time for the inspection by the state patrol can be 3 - 4 weeks.  You pay $50 for the inspection on top of the titling and license, and the state patrol is Pi#$$ed because the state throws the money into the general fund.  State patrol does the work, and covers the financial overhead, and the state gets the money, not the state patrols budget.

Yeah, and they jack up the cost of a drivers license. I thought the lady was joking with me when I went in for renewal went from 75 to 200 and something. Oh and I am in The Tri-cites area.

plockit007

Another Newbie...Outstanding...HAPPY to have you. I wish I had been that lucky $100.00 is more than worth buying it will give you a challenge and peace of mind to redo a piece of history.

All the help you need will be right here. Excellent sources of information with each question.

I can hardly wait for the questions. :)ThmbUp :( :angel:

Pictures we need lots of pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hm? :)

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: Gregwarro on August 01, 2017, 05:37 PM

Yeah, and they jack up the cost of a drivers license. I thought the lady was joking with me when I went in for renewal went from 75 to 200 and something. Oh and I am in The Tri-cites area.

Wow $200 for a Driver's License, really ..... Can you make payments?

Best of luck with your repairs / restore!
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!