Roof vent size questions 75 brave d21

Started by acenjason, June 22, 2017, 10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acenjason

Hello all. So I looked around a little in here assuming this was a common problem. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. Anyway, my 75 Brave is in need of new crank up roof vents. I soon realized that the old vent seems to be glued down by the factory. I was expecting screws and now I don't know how to remove the old vent without messing up the roof. The next problem is that the old vent has round corners and the modern vent is square. Do you folks know how I can get the old vent out and where I could find the old style rounded corners vents? Thanks for reading and possibly offering advice if possible. :)

Rickf1985

Those vents are still available from Winnebago, they are pricey though. I know, I just got one. I believe the hole size is the standard 14x14. The Winnebago vents are nice in that they are screwed in from the inside and clamp against the roof, unlike all the aftermarket ones that screw in from the top which puts a lot more holes in the roof.

acenjason

Hey thanks Rick. Did you just email Winnebago and ask about them? And ya, mine are 14/14 as well. They just have those round corners. Also, I am not sure how to get the old ones off since they seem to be glued down and don't want to damage the roof riping them off. Have you run into that? The extra price would be better than trying to square up the hole with a jig saw to accommodate the modern vents. Thanks again for the info Rick.  :D

Rickf1985

http://www.winnebagoparts.com/

Mobility RV, Good people to deal with. They are the direct reseller for Winnebago parts

TerryH

14" x 14" is standard size for vents and AC units. New ones do have square corners. It is not a huge undertaking to square off the cut-out. If you want advice for this just ask.
When you compare prices you may want to consider whether or not the existing have or would be more useful with fans. If so, consider Fantastic Fans. Often good pricing can be found on EBay, etc.
The ones they sell with intake/exhaust and 3 speed fans may be better for you. Ideal for exhausting in the shower area and galley as well as air movement in hot weather. Chances are the wiring is already in place.
Aside - if the existing have a fan, keep it and the motor - generally they are the same as on your stove fan.
As for removing the existing, assuming that they are not screwed down from the top, two tools:

http://www.olfa.com/products-snap-off-blade-utility-knives/
and
https://www.kmstools.com/richard-10-pry-bar-and-scraper-95114
Use the Olfa knife WITH EYE PROTECTION to slice the sealant between the vent flange and roof. If you find the sealant sticking to the blade spray glass cleaner or soapy water in the working area.
Once you have approx. 6" sliced reasonably well, use the hook end of the pry bar to gently pry up the flange and continue slicing. You will find it gets easier as you go. The warmer the weather, the easier you'll find it.
Once you have it off the fun part begins, depending on what sealant was used. Before sealing the new in place you have to do exemplary prep/cleaning work. Otherwise you will waste time, money, material and quite possible the roof of your RV.
If your intention is to use silicone please move onto the next post.
If you are replacing your vents I can give you experienced advice on sealing the new. Advice only.
One more aside - should you be adding vent cover/s, most now utilize clips that install with the same screws that hold the vent to the roof. Something to consider.

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Terry, You mentioned silicone and next post but no post? I KNOW you would NEVER recommend silicone!!!! Silicone is bad, BAD BAD!!!

TerryH

That is why there was no next post. :)rotflmao
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

M & J

???
:)clap
:)rotflmao
Sorry Rick, couldnt resist.  ;)
M & J

CapnDirk

Keep silicon away from anything with wheels and paint!   $@!#@!

I'm an ex bodyman, and can't count the messes trying to paint something that got silicon contamination on it.  Armor All use to recommend you could use it on your cars paint!  They were advised vocally by the automotive industry NOOOOOOOO!
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Rickf1985

When I worked in a body shop if a car drove buy with silicone wax on it you were done. All your paint would fisheye for months! D:oH!