Rv tools... what do I need for starters?

Started by Wbago, June 22, 2017, 03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wbago

All my tools are metric sizes, so I'm gonna buy a set for the van..
Recommendations for basics spanners and sockets, etc, I've never had imperial spanners lol :-)

Rickf1985

All depends on what you plan on doing really but assuming you already have a ratchet and extensions all you need are a set of US sockets which usually come from 3/8" up to 3/4" in a 3/6 drive set and if you get a 1/2" drive set they will usually go from 7/16 up to 1 1/8 if it is a complete set. You probably do not need the 1/2 drive set unless you are doing some really big work. Wrench sets are the same thing, from 3/8" up to 1" will cover everything you need to do. A set will usually have from 3/8" up to 3/4" and then you buy the 13/16, 7/8, 15/16 and 1" buy them selves. Screwdrivers are the same as yours, #2 and #3 Phillips and a couple good straight blade drivers. Add a couple adjustable wrenches for those times when you need to hold the other end of a bolt and you do not have two of the wrench you need. Keep in mind, a lot of metric cross over to US. 7/16 = 11mm, 1/2 = 13mm, 9/16 = 14mm, 11/16 = 17mm, 3/4 = 19mm.  I think 5/16 = 9mm but I am not sure.

CapnDirk

Quote from: Wbago on June 22, 2017, 03:22 PM
All my tools are metric sizes, so I'm gonna buy a set for the van..
Recommendations for basics spanners and sockets, etc, I've never had imperial spanners lol :-)

Imperial.. That's what their called?   :D   I've heard SAE, Metric, now imperial, and when I started turning a wrench on Jags 40 years ago it was British Standard!

Can't we all get along?   :)rotflmao

You do have a 3/8 18V impact drill driver?  I've fixed one end of this MH  to the other with mine, and it also has been my work gun to.  Been going 5+ years on the same gun and batteries 5-7 days a week.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

tmsnyder

I thought they were called English sizes, but now here's an actual guy (bloke?) from England calling them Imperial ?! 

What Rick said ^^^  and I'd add that if this is for emergency roadside tools then a set of 3/8 sockets to 3/4 and a set of wrenches should do it, 1/4 to 3/4, 7/8, or 1" a bonus would be to have an extra 7/16, 1/2, and 9/16 just in case, or good vicegrips, although theres usually a metric size that's close enough to hold one end of the bolt while cranking on the other, in case that ever comes up.  I don't think you'll need the 1/2" drive sockets, the only thing bigger than 3/4" would be lug nuts and you should have a proper lug wrench for those.

Wbago

Am on the case ..
All answers good ones, gonna grab a socket set, and a few odd spanners to make a full set, also need a decent bottle type jack I think... 

:-)

WrigleysBraveWin

Other than those listed I would include in my tool box:

Gorilla Tape
WD 40

Remember if it moves and shouldn't use Gorilla Tape and if it doesn't move and should use WD 40
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

Rickf1985

Except that "old" does not pass modern emissions where it is required to do so. Yes, the "Modern" mechanic, or technician, as they are now called is required to purchase tens of thousands of dollars of modern diagnostic equipment. And the catch is that that equipment goes out of date after 5-7 years and they come out with new stuff that you have to buy if you want to stay in the game. That is why I retired. I was putting out more than I was making.

legomybago

Yes, my Father-in-Law was just talking about Whitworth tools and how much he hates British vehicles. (I drive a Land Rover and I love it  :P )....I'd never heard of the Whitworth tools before, thanks for the story Ralph.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy