My First RV - 1994 Winnebago Brave 23'

Started by WrigleysBraveWin, June 22, 2017, 08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

It is quite common for people in hot climates to use only water in cooling systems. They do not feel the need for antifreeze mainly because of the name of it, "antifreeze" and not "coolant". The coolant has a lot of additives that lubricate the water pump seals and also rust preventatives to protect the block. Not to mention the main reason for using it and that is the raise in boiling temp. Under 12-15 lbs of pressure it will not boil until around 240-250 degrees. This is why it is so important to maintain a good 50/50 mix of antifreeze and also to be sure to keep a good radiator cap on there. Hopefully they do not find a bunch of rusty sludge when they drain it out. I strongly suggest you follow up with another draining, flushing and refill once you get home if this one shows any sign of rust. Also be sure to check the strength once you get home because there is a LOT of water in that system and it is going to be hard for them to get the right concentration. You may need to drain out a couple gallons when you get home and add a couple gallons of concentrate to bring it up to the 50/50. And you are in a very cold area so you want at least that much protection.

I just noticed your last post was early AM and you are in a Wal Mart in Flagstaff so you are on the road. Congrats and good luck. Keep us posted.

Rick

WrigleysBraveWin

Coolant or Anti-Freeze either way will check out with local mechanic when we make it home - plan on them giving another go over .....

Arrived in Amarillo and staying at Walmart, again ...... Averaged 11.67 MPG crushing average speed of 65 but did hit 75+ on numerous occasions when going downhill - this little guy scoots and the engine purrs at 65 mph, I'm very pleased thus far with coach .... Tom, Kathy and Mario also had praise for the little guy and really didn't find much other than the coolant issue  .... The Dealer went thru as they promised and repaired 12 different items - which I showed the list to Kathy and she printed and showed Tom and Mario - all three were set back by the amount of work they did and Mario threw in a comment something about high quality grease, not the cheap stuff he said ....

Having never owned an RV but have owned and purchased many cars and trucks, including fleet purchases I've had some experience and this guy seems like it's gonna work out .... I see some restoration and small repairs but overall this coach was very well cared for and loaded with options and ad ons such as the leveling jacks and Banks Equipment, which by the way I believe helps boast the performance, this guy has some guts and I got 11.67 mpg from flagstaff to Amarillo, will see what trip turns out but anything over ten is a blessing in my eyes ...

Next thing I'll be needing help trying to figure out all this stuff like the wingrad thing and can I add any stuff to help my power such as solar ...
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

Rickf1985

That is some really good mileage for a class A especially considering the speeds you are pushing. It sounds to me like you found that one in a thousand really good deal. and an even more rare honest dealer. With what they did I am curious why they let it go without coolant but hey, they did the expensive stuff.

WrigleysBraveWin

Mario confirmed all this was done and must of been in the front end work where he mentioned the grease ..... BIG 10/4 on missing coolant, especially with heat they have been experiencing, think that would be on top of list ...

Here is a list of the items ( Dealer email  ) we took care of.

1) Repaired dash A/C not blowing cold. Recharge and seal line.
2) Passenger Headlamp
3) Closet Ceiling ( the one I showed you )
4) Generator Fuel line replaced
5) Awning inner arm and lock
6) New TV antenna
7) Refrigerator LP leak repaired
8) Springs for front Driver side jack
9) Front Air bags Replaced
10) New GFI in bathroom
11) 2 Sway Bar Bushings
12) Engine Oil Change.
13) Rear Bumper Panel ( in photos I originally sent )

I'm in Kansas tonite at RV Park on Route 35 / Route 50 ..... Today I traveled just a little over 500 miles but averaged just under 11 mpg - not sure why lower than yesterday but wind could of had something to do with ......

Anyways 600 miles to home and so far this thing runs great and the oil dipstick says it used about 1/4 or so of a quart - so I don't anticipate adding any for a 1,800 mile trip, makes me happy ..... Engine purrs at 65 and has passing power .... today I got caught in a little traffic snarl and had to go from 70 up to almost 80 and it got there fairly quick and I was able to avoid getting blind shuffled (harness racing term) ....

Tomorrow if all goes well I'll make it home and we will see who missed me more, my pup Wrigley or the wife!

Rickf1985

I am hoping you have overdrive on that unit! If not you are really pushing the redline on the engine at 80. These thing have really low gears in the rear so check on that.

CapnDirk

You left the wife at home on the first adventure?
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

WrigleysBraveWin

Wife's and pup had to stay home unfortunately!

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 16, 2017, 10:46 AM
I am hoping you have overdrive on that unit! If not you are really pushing the redline on the engine at 80. These thing have really low gears in the rear so check on that.

Yes has overdrive and engine and was not wound out, cruised nicely at 70-75 but hitting 80 was pushing it!

Mileage on final leg dropped as speed increased, anxious to get home and on I-80 but I knew the road well and still got 10.55 mph.

Rickf1985

There is something you need to learn, you are driving an RV. Your home is with you so leave the anxieties behind and take your time. You will get there when you get there. Makes it a lot easier on you and the equipment.

WrigleysBraveWin

I hear you, was overly excited and in the grand scheme of things, a mistake. Funny you mentioned as I was sitting here this am thinking another day wouldn't of hurt anyone.

Lesson learned and putting this post will help remind, appreciate your comment!

WrigleysBraveWin

Unit is in unbelievable condition..... Stove, microwave, sink and fridge all original and all look new .... Underside of uniT is also very clean, almost pristine!

Winnebago Warrior 94

im excited for you that your rig is doing great ..I hope you made it home safely and I hope all is well ..I cheer for the older rigs to do awesome and take a licking and keep on ticking  :)clap give us an update please

Rickf1985

Did I miss something or someone? i?? i??

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: Winnebago Warrior 94 on November 12, 2017, 07:34 PM
im excited for you that your rig is doing great ..I hope you made it home safely and I hope all is well ..I cheer for the older rigs to do awesome and take a licking and keep on ticking  :)clap give us an update please

Oh yea we made it home and back and home again and now down home here in Arkansas ..... Coach had some serious suspension work done and it cornered and handled like a champ thru the Ozark Mountains.

Winnebago Warrior 94

Winnebago Warrior 94

WrigleysBraveWin

Now our plan is to hit the beautiful camping spots down here on the White and Buffalo River and this spring head on over to Arizona and see some Cubs Spring Training Games!