My First RV - 1994 Winnebago Brave 23'

Started by WrigleysBraveWin, June 22, 2017, 08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WrigleysBraveWin

Pretty excited to join, just purchased our first RV ....

We searched for a used Brave and found a nice 1994 23' Model in southern California .... Have not drove yet but Dealer tells me it drives straight, no play in steering, everything works, no fluid drips, plenty of tire tread and previous Owner put on a Banks Kit which increases the HP and Mileage .... Sales guy had no clue the Banks Kit was on the vehicle until the test drive and whoa what a beast, ton of power!

We are flying to Vegas to take delivery sometime after Fourth of July (I LOVE this Country we are so blessed to be able to celebrate).

Looking to do a few add ones such as solar and a tv/sound system and outdoor shower for Wrigley, our pup!

Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

NiftyBetty

Beautiful. As a new RVer myself, I know how exciting this is.  Based on my own experience, I would spend the first few days driving and camping within reach of that dealer in case you discover anything that needs to be done and try to make an agreement with them ahead of time about that.  Even if there is no warranty you are still buying based on their representations.  If they are willing to make them, they should be willing to stand behind them.   Best of luck.  BTW,  I keep seeing that wooden tray/cup holder between the seats in pictures, do you know whether it's original or an add-on?  I can't seem to find anything like it online. 

WrigleysBraveWin

Nifty .... Good idea hanging around Dealer at first, unfortunately, we are picking up in Vegas and heading back east to Chicago - Just hope all goes well, often times we put too much trust or have high expectations only to discover otherwise .....

As for the wooden tray, I did not see that piece in the parts book but it may of been an option .....  if you like I sure we can copy / build another and finish with some Tung Oil .....  one could build from Oak, Hickory, Cherry or whatever wood desired - Just let me know if interested ....  I may even sell the one in the picture and make a new one for myself!

legomybago

QuoteBeautiful. As a new RVer myself, I know how exciting this is.  Based on my own experience, I would spend the first few days driving and camping within reach of that dealer in case you discover anything that needs to be done and try to make an agreement with them ahead of time about that.  Even if there is no warranty you are still buying based on their representations.  If they are willing to make them, they should be willing to stand behind them.   Best of luck.

This is good advise.
Hopefully the transaction goes smooth, this type of internet RV/dealer purchases usually don't. Due to the dealer's not knowing anything about the RV. Just lies. Keep us informed on your journey, best of luck. Oh, and be sure to get the date code on the tires, if they are over 7-8 years old you should put a new set on before you head out of town.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: legomybago on June 22, 2017, 02:33 PM
This is good advise.
Hopefully the transaction goes smooth, this type of internet RV/dealer purchases usually don't. Due to the dealer's not knowing anything about the RV. Just lies. Keep us informed on your journey, best of luck. Oh, and be sure to get the date code on the tires, if they are over 7-8 years old you should put a new set on before you head out of town.

I hear ya, I'm a gambler so if my money is on the wrong number, so be it ..... date code on tires indicates 2013, so halfway through safe life cycle but threads indicate less wear .....

RV SalesGuy has been in biz at same Dealer for 15 years and I know from the internet demo video it holds the road and has plenty of power, that was when the sales guy said "this thing has some guts" and the service manager told him rig was outfitted with a Banks Kit http://shop.bankspower.com/i-681-49069-powerpack-bundle-complete-power-system-for-use-with-1988-1995-gm-454-motorhome-efi-electronic-fuel-injection.html?ref=category:82 and to be honest that clinch the deal ....

Figured from the video and herd that engine kick in and the power it had along with the self leveling option that was installed and to be honest the wood tray up front was enough evidence to convince me someone really liked this RV and it was the one for our family, will know soon enough when I pick up early July after the 4th!

NiftyBetty

Kind offer on the wooden tray.  If it works as good as it looks it would be perfect for my old rig.  I'm thinking you'll be pretty busy enjoying and travelling for a while, but if you find you want to sell it or have time to make one, let me know.  Meanwhile,  have a great time and stay hydrated.    :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

That Banks kit is a nice setup but do not believe the advertising hype about those horsepower gains!! Not even close! You would gain at best maybe ten horsepower. What you DO gain is a massive boost in low end torque. And that is where you gain your mileage increase from.......................................................... As long as you keep your foot out of it. It will pull like a full size road tractor at low end but it will drop off quickly above 3500 rpm. You won't feel the drop off because you will have your foot in it but the mileage will hit rock bottom. Looks like a real nice rig but keep in mind that the dealer only has one thing in mind and that is the sale, you get 500 miles away and break down and call him he is going to say, "Didn't you get the AAA heavy towing"? He is not going to do much for you at that point. Sale is done. Most of us have been there done that and have the towing receipts to prove it so go over it very well before you make the trip. If you don't think you are qualified then take it to a truck shop. Better to find any issues in Vegas than in the desert!
And Betty, I think you may find that is a Winnebago tray. I see them in just about every one I look at. Different styles but most have them. Mine was built as an extension of the dash. I took it out since it did not fit any standard cups and they just fell over in there.

TerryH

Looks like a real nice rig but keep in mind that the dealer only has one thing in mind and that is the sale, you get 500 miles away and break down and call him he is going to say, "Didn't you get the AAA heavy towing"? He is not going to do much for you at that point. Sale is done.

Bear in mind you have purchased a 'used' vehicle, paid for it and driven it off the lot.
I would have very serious doubts that the salesperson would even answer a phone call from you, especially with a complaint.
Should you expect service over and above, best of luck.
Put yourself in the position of the salesperson - does your paycheque increase with sales?
Should you agree to correct any and all problems the purchaser may encounter down the road - where does the money to pay for them come from?

And Betty, I think you may find that is a Winnebago tray. I see them in just about every one I look at. Different styles but most have them. Mine was built as an extension of the dash. I took it out since it did not fit any standard cups and they just fell over in there.

As for the dash tray, they are very common. Most class A,B and C's have them. Not all the same, but easily obtainable. Not all that difficult to make with basic woodworking skills.
Mine has slots for cassette tapes.   :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

LJ-TJ

Well kiddo she's a real nice looking rig. One thing I can say for sure is your adventures are about to begin. The bad adventures are even good because they usually expand over time around the campfire. Something like fishing stories. :)rotflmao But hey if you run into problems not to worry. Usually someone is around here that can point you in the right direction or may even be handy to where you are and can help you out. Don't for get to check in and let us know how your making out. I know but don't forget Walmart's you friend for supplies and over night video surveillance when you put up in there parking lot over night. Well done and Blue Sky's and Tailwinds. :)ThmbUp

Winnebago Warrior 94

I'm excited for yall and may your new rig run just fine all the way home ..it look very well taken car of and you sound like yall are going to enjoy it ..very nce looking rv yall got there ..here's to the good  times 😃..I have a 94 winnabago  warrior  24ft

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: LJ-TJ on June 22, 2017, 09:26 PM
Well kiddo she's a real nice looking rig. One thing I can say for sure is your adventures are about to begin. The bad adventures are even good because they usually expand over time around the campfire. Something like fishing stories. :)rotflmao But hey if you run into problems not to worry. Usually someone is around here that can point you in the right direction or may even be handy to where you are and can help you out. Don't for get to check in and let us know how your making out. I know but don't forget Walmart's you friend for supplies and over night video surveillance when you put up in there parking lot over night. Well done and Blue Sky's and Tailwinds. :)ThmbUp

Thanks Brother for the well wishes ....

Giant RV from Southern California says RV went thru service and it is road ready for Chicago .... But then what else would the Seller tell you? One little caveat is Giant RV does not normally sell used pre-2000 RV they take in trade, rather they wholesale them out but this guy was in such good shape the Sales Manger requested they make an exception and higher powers approved .... Go to Giant RV - search  inventory - you won't find any pre-2000 RVs, except maybe mine which is sold - so maybe truth this RV is in good mechanical condition?

Plan is on July 12th Giant drives to Vegas  and I fly to Vegas ..... At predetermined location we do paperwork / pickup RV.

I've arranged for Double Eagle RV in Vegas to inspect and repair if needed, I'll stay at Sam's Town for whatverer it takes until RV is road ready.

still need to secure RV Insurance and Road Site Assistance Insurance .... Any recommendations anyone?

Considering going thru Salt Lake to eventually catch I-80 East Chicago  .... I may post pics and experiences as I move half-way across our wonderful county .... Anyone have experience traveling this route - don't wanna go thru Denever or southern route thru Arizona / New Mexico?

CapnDirk

"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: CapnDirk on June 26, 2017, 06:06 PM
Why no Denver?

Don't wanna drive up/down Rockies first trip. Rather take a more level Route!

kenwautoone

Good people over at double eagle RV.if you are part timer or full timers, check out Gieco

plockit007

Nice buy...really like the color and it is small but looks very roomy. Welcome to the club.

:)clap :)clap  HAPPY RVing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Phil

Hobbes

Quotestill need to secure RV Insurance and Road Site Assistance Insurance .... Any recommendations anyone?

Your results may vary, but the best quotes I received were from Progressive for insurance and Good Sam for roadside assistance (Good Sam recently also began offering insurance also, but I haven't priced them yet).

Best of luck with your trip; it sounds like a great adventure!

Rickf1985

Be VERY wary of Good Sam roadside!!!! They will ONLY tow you to one of their service centers and then you are stuck their until they get to you, and at their prices. And if you are towing a trailer.............. they will leave it behind! They will tell you on the phone that cover everything but then when you are broke down on the side of the road with your antique car on the trailer behind you you will find out the truth! Been there and done that! Triple AAA is probably the best for heavy towing just because they have been doing it for so long but again, if you are towing a trailer you can run into problems. Plus with Triple AAA you can get towed to where YOU want the service done. And I second the Progressive for the insurance but be ready for them to pester you constantly to "bundle" everything from then on.

Winnebago Warrior 94

Is triple a through Aarp or how do you sign up for Triple a .how far will they tow you without extra cost ..what is a good price for rv insurance?

WrigleysBraveWin

Dealer claims RV is road ready .... I will be in Vegas thIs coming Wednesday, July 12th, to take delivery .... I then have an appointment about two miles up the street at Double Eagle RV for an inspection and any service required .... I'll stay at Sam's Town if necessary until she is road ready .....

From there I'll be south on I-93 to East I-40 to North I-35 to East I-80 to Chicago, probably camp at Walmart along the way ..... Once in Chicago I'll stay for awhile and get more work or upgrades / restoration done and then head down to Flippin, Arkansas and RV down there awhile ....

Will post a few pics of my travels!

1990HR

I have Coach Net for road side service. https://coach-net.com/
They cover everything I own, motorhome, boat, camper trailer, car.
Unlimited towing, fuel, tire service and so on.

Rickf1985

Quote from: 1990HR on July 09, 2017, 11:20 PM
I have Coach Net for road side service. https://coach-net.com/
They cover everything I own, motorhome, boat, camper trailer, car.
Unlimited towing, fuel, tire service and so on.
Do they cover a car trailer towed by the motor home? Most do not so call them and ask, don't look at the policy, actually call and ask. If they actually do then I am interested. I have been left on the side of the road twice with both triple A AND Good Sam coverage due to the fact that they would not tow a car trailer. They would tow a utility or boat trailer but NOT a car trailer!?

1990HR

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 10, 2017, 09:33 AM
Do they cover a car trailer towed by the motor home? Most do not so call them and ask, don't look at the policy, actually call and ask. If they actually do then I am interested. I have been left on the side of the road twice with both triple A AND Good Sam coverage due to the fact that they would not tow a car trailer. They would tow a utility or boat trailer but NOT a car trailer!?

They specialize in motorhome coverage and full timers that pull a toad.
The nice thing about them is, if I borrowed your motorhome and broke down, I'm still covered.
They are a little expensive, $240 a year, but I gladly pay it knowing I'm covered and one tow alone is more than $240.

Rickf1985

True, but what I am saying is a lot of toads have all wheel drive and have to be on a trailer. THAT is where you run into a problem. I can't for the life of me see where they can differentiate between a boat trailer or a utility trailer or a car trailer. I was even told that if I had a flat bed trailer with a dune buggy on it I was covered but with my antique military Jeep I was not because it was a road car. Same dam trailer!

WrigleysBraveWin

Story Continues - We HAVE POSSESSION of the RV:

Fly into Vegas Wednesday AM and manage to get from airport to Sam's Town via Public Transportation carrying tow bags, one loaded with 25 lbs of assorted tools plus a host host of assorted items plus clothes, etc .... of course it is early AM and can't check into rooms so I left bags with Bell Hoop then proceeded to again take Piblic Transport down Boulder Way to Jokers Wild where I was to meet driver / RV at 11:30am and I there but no driver / RV .... Cell phone rings and of course its the driver with reason for tardy, figures no later than 12:30ish - 1pm at worse .... so I play $20 in double diamond machine, per wife, and take out $80 - OK feeling little better but still time so I go to penny machine by door and play and end up break even and 12:30 no RV .... Phone rings, yep you guessed it now an accident and they have one lane blocked - figure 1:30 so I  call Double RV and tell them I'll be late and  we should be there by 2:30 .......

Driver finally shows and it's 2:10 but now new problem, notary is not there and he is delayed and I am going really - it's a "F.....in" 108 degrees and we are in this RV and it is hot .... finally guy shows we get deal done and off to Double. Eagle, just up the street 2 miles I don't even have to make a turn .....

Double Eagle guy Mario checks and says all looks good BUT and he can't figure why - right then my heart dropped ..... Why the coolant was like none existent and only water and smelled like mold ... Oh boy, can we repair - Mario says sure but not today .... but can do tomorrow AM - well I kinda figured something may come up so I had room already ......

This Post will be too long if I continue the story, and I will, just not now but I will say I'm at WalMart in Flagstaff, Arizona and I'm loving it ....

WrigleysBraveWin