Radiator for 454 7.4 with extra hole

Started by Wbago, June 20, 2017, 01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wbago

I have engine oil lines from oil filter housing to the passenger side of the radiator, and atf lines to the driver side, with the radiator core in the middle..  all done in one part, not seperate coolers...
No accurate temp guage, but initial test (before I found the oil leak) showed temp to be cooler than it was before the rad came out, now I gotta get it real hot to be sure the fans come on at right temps, might just swap for a variable type with an override :-)

Wbago

And I think I have the panels fitted, it's pretty well ducted from the grill to the rad :-)

Rickf1985

I would not use the AC line, go to the parts store and get transmission line hose. And double clamp both ends since it will not have a flare of any type to hold it.
And on mine the engine oil cooler is as described by Ralph except that the oil cooler is the left side and the AC condenser is the right side of the cooler in front of the radiator, It is one cooler with two functions. I doubt I could ever find a replacement for that one.

Wbago

There's a few different configurations, not sure why exactly.... Mine seems to be the rarest one, nothing else has the 3-way cooling that I've seen, rebuild was the only way.
Other option was to use the cheap rad, and use adapters to fit the lines, or fit new oil and transmission coolers, result of which would have mirrored your set up :-)
The reason I thought of using the ac pipe was the strength of it.local parts shop has oil pipe, but it's half as thick, more like water pipe, didn't want it to swell.
Just ordered an imperial flaring tool, if I can get a short pipe made up, I'll cut, flare and fit new 2ft long pieces, otherwise yup, double clips for defo :-)

Rickf1985

It is not so much the thickness but the composition of the material. It is like comparing fuel line to oil line. Fuel line will soften and swell if you use it for oil but they are both made of rubber. I don't know about the AC lines, They have oil in them but it is a synthetic oil for AC use so I don't know how they would handle hot motor oil. Another thing I noticed is the language issue, you are referring to pipes for everything even place I think there would have to be rubber so I am just assuming soe of what you are calling pipe is probably rubber. The AC Metal pipes are made of aluminum and will most likely split if you try to flare them.

Wbago

They're all pipes lol :-)
To clarify... 
Alloy pipes from back of rad to under rad, all the way to a rubber hose fitting...  the leak is at one of the fixings under the rad, in an alloy pipe approx. 3/8" ..

Wbago

Repaired the oil lines today - hose used was a 12.7mm internal diameter, 400psi dedicated oil hose, made by Pirtek.
At side of the radiator was a large drum type canister, and it was in contact with the alloy pipe, vibration cut a wedge into it, and fitting the radiator had made it open I think, giving me 2 leaks in one section.
Ran to hot, runs cooler than it used to, so next will be to fit a new sensor and gauge, and a variable thermostat to control the fans.
That should let me see where it's 'happy' and let me set the fans to suit, no idea what it 'should' be tho, as yet :-)

Rickf1985

Well, the thermostat should be 180 degree or 190 degree. Not sure which you have in yours but you can tell by watching your ten=mp gauge if you have a fairly accurate aftermarket one when you start it up cold. Just watch it as it warms up and you will see the gauge drop as the thermostat opens. That is the opening temp of the thermostat. If you have just the "cold-hot" gauge then you can still use it by watching it the same way and noting where on the gauge it drops. I usually note what letter or mark on the face of the gauge it changed at. If it runs hotter than that point then it is time to turn on the fans. Remember, the fans will not coll it off below the thermostat opening point, that is the reason for the thermostat, to keep the engine at the proper temperature.

Wbago

Yup, just what I'm thinking :-)
New gauge is a blue digital one, with new sensor too, going in big top hose... Gauge also has a 212F warning lamp..
Also putting a 3 way switch for the fans, off/auto/override, with an indicator bulb on the override as a reminder :-)

Wbago

Gauge is fitted, the van runs to 81 Celsius, I'm happy with that. Still didn't get hot enough to trip fans on, so new capillary switch will get fitted next week :-)