166 Air Compressor for the water tank?

Started by Trunkhill1, May 29, 2017, 09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trunkhill1

So... I own a 1975 166 'Canadian' travel trailer which I've been renovating.  The 12V air compressor for the fresh water tank gave out and I've been searching everywhere for a replacement.  The manual says (and the gauge previous to the failure) indicated that a static-30psi needs to be maintained for the system to operate at optimal efficiency. 
Does anyone have a working unit to part out, a line on where to get one repaired, or a recommended suitable substitution? 
Cheers,
Trunkhill1

Rickf1985

There are many smaller 12 volt air compressor's out there nowadays and then you just need to add a regulator. Best setup would be a small compressor and tank with a regulator to give you the 30lbs to the tank. That would also prevent the compressor from running a lot. I usually buy Viair compressors since they are high quality. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.
http://www.viaircorp.com/

kenwautoone

I just replaced compressor with a regular water pump.works great ,no noise.....Ken

Trunkhill1

And to sound like a total noob, how does one replace that with a water pump and what kind/design/etc. would I need?
Thanks,
Cory

Oz

Many people have replaced their compressed air systems with on-demand ones.  Several, very good topics covering your questions already here to read over.
Do a search or ask for assistance.
:) :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

fasteddie313

I had like a 1958 small camper trailer that had a hand pump on the water tank. A bicycle pump looking thing with leather seals in it similar to what is on the old gasoline burner camping stoves or gasoline soldering irons but bigger..

tmsnyder

That's a good idea for these old ones with the pressurized tanks, no battery to go bad!