Sam's Club batteries

Started by tmsnyder, July 02, 2018, 11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsnyder

Anyone try the 6V golf cart batteries at Sam's Club?  They seem big and heavy enough to be legitimate.  They are Duracell brand.  Any good for stringing a pair together in series for an RV?  The price seemed reasonable, like less than 100 per battery.

Rickf1985

Duracell does not make automotive batteries so you would need to know who made them. My guess is whomever did they are the lower end of the line since they are rebranded. If they were top line batteries they would be name brand.  Sam's is Wal-mart and Wal-mart use to sell Exide which is top shelf but I don't know if they still do and I also don't know if Exide makes Duracell. A little searching would find out.

It is a Batteries Plus brand. My personal experience with their batteries has been so-so. I have not had steller service from them, nor have I gotten steller warranty service from them either. I would suggest in this case that you look for better batteries and say that the caveat that you get what you pay for pertains here.

My next batteries are going to be Deka's, Made right here in the USA in Pennsylvania. http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/

tmsnyder

I called the local battery store, they have good brand batteries including trojan for not much more money. I'll probably just do that.

Froggy1936

I have used Pep Boys batteries for my mini winnie since i first replaced them I have gotten 6 plus years out of both sets of 2 12V on a constant watch convertor that keeps them at 13.5 to 14 V ,every time i check They have carried me two days and nights in the cold with using the furnace all night both nights .And supplying constant power to the Fridge operating controls running on propane, incl water pump, and necc lighting .  I will use their batteries again  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Wantawinnie

I've got two in my Winnebago. Had them for a little less than a year so can't give you a long term opinion. So far they have done what a battery needs to do and held charge over the winter deep freeze.

Aaarrghh

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 03, 2018, 02:03 PM
I would suggest in this case that you look for better batteries and say that the caveat that you get what you pay for pertains here.

My next batteries are going to be Deka's, Made right here in the USA in Pennsylvania. http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/
Sam's prices are significantly less than what you'd pay for the same item elsewhere.
My 3 year old Duracell (bought at Sam's) has held up fine so far, and I expect I'll get the hoped-for 5 years from it, but when it comes time to replace, where would I buy a Deka? I used the "Where to buy" link on the East Penn site, and the nearest retailer was 80 miles away.

Sasquatch

I just bought the Duracell 6v golf cart batteries from Batteries Plus.  Got them for $124 each.  I did confirm that the Duracell brand is made by East Penn, aka Deka.

Rickf1985

That is surprising because I have never had much luck with the Duracell batteries. I have been through 6 of them in my Dodge diesel. Two in my wife's car, all from Batteries Plus. They failed in less than two years, and then the warranty is prorated so you get royally screwed! After the last set I went and bought Interstates since there was not a source for Deka's near me.

fasteddie313

I bought a Deka 49 AGM for my M3 recently. It's a monster.
Napa and Sears both sell rebranded Deka batteries. Got mine at Napa..

The car audio forum guys recommend the Deka AGM batts for high wattage systems so that is what I got.
$200 tho ouch...

Rickf1985

I like and recommend Dekas, I have had no luck at all with Duracell. Just today in my M-151 military vehicle I found both Duracell batteries at 11.8 volts and they are only 2 years old. That is par for what I am experiencing with all of the Duracells. That is why I say I am surprised to hear they are made by East Penn.