1988 454 radiator replacement by shop - cost?

Started by Mtngoat, May 29, 2017, 06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RANGERRICK

I agree with Rick,it should take 8-10 hours unless you have someone who works very slow.I would replace the water pump and any thing that looks iffy also depending on the miles.Don't forget to replace any o-rings.

Rickf1985

That was why I asked the mileage, water pump, timing chain. If you have to do the water pump the timing chain is right there. But the water pump does add quite a bit of time since ALL of the brackets on the front of the motor have to come off to get to it. Hence why you would do the timing chain at the same time, you don't want to have to pay all that labor twice.
These things are kind of like a snowball rolling down a hill! :D

tmsnyder

Rick must work a lot faster than me.  I think mine was on blocks for 2 weeks while I did the radiator.  Takes me a 1/2 hour just to get the front end up on blocks and wheels off. 

Good advice also to change out the water pump, all hoses and belts while there.

On mine, the front grill comes off, then in the wheel well the air deflectors come out and give total access to the sides of the engine from inside the wheel well.  Not sure on a Georgie Boy but get everything as open as possible, it's usually worth it later to get that access open.

AIR system removal too if your state doesn't do a tailpipe sniff test.

tmsnyder

Yeah snowballing for sure, but I don't remember the brackets for the water pump being that hard to deal with:

Front seal
Harmonic damper (put in a Fluidampr)
Timing chain set
Water pump
All hoses
All belts (delete AIR)

Plugs, wires, cap, rotor if you didn't already

Rickf1985

You have to remember that he is getting a price from a mechanic, not doing it himself. Being a mechanic I had to be able to access a vehicle in the fastest and most efficient way if I was going to make any money without raping the people in the process. That was why I never had to spend any money on advertising. Word of mouth is the best advertising you can get but you only get it by earning it. The biggest problem with a lot of motorhomes is access to the engine. On mine I cannot remove the front body section so I have to work through the hood opening and then from underneath. Opening up the sides does nothing at all for radiator access. Just wastes valuable labor time.

It took me 2 hours to get to this point in 20 degree temps in my driveway. Notice all the bodywork still on the front of the RV, It cannot be removed so that makes things a lot harder. This job was mainly to replace a bad water pump but I also did the timing chain and it took me a total of 11 hours. consider that I am nowhere near flexible as I used to be and I have both shoulders with total tears of the rotator cuffs. A good mechanic in good shape can do this job in eight hours. And I did have to go back and replace the radiator a couple years later, took me about three hours. But consider that I already knew exactly what had to come out and what did not.

tmsnyder

Oh that stinks Rick.  On mine, going in through the wheel wells gives total access to the sides of the engine.  So on the right that lower water pump hose is easy to get off and on, the tranny cooler lines are right there too.  Definitely worth looking at on the Georgie Boy to see how that's set up.

They're probably figuring about how much an RV owner would be willing to pay without driving him or her away. It's extortion.

wajell

I have a 1988 Holiday Rambler also built on P30 Chassis and need a new radiator (leaking). A couple of questions. The APDI 8011544 looks about right BUT it is only one core. Will that be enough cooling to replace what is in there? Spectra also has one that looks like it might work but also only one core.

APDI 8011544 = $107
Spectra premium radiator 1544 = $237
Is there a difference in quality?

Then there is also the option of having the old one re-cored. $500-$800?

Since we a traveling we will be stranded while the work is being done. A new radiator would be faster,  but I want something that can do the job.

Decisions...Decisions...

Any input would be appreciated!

Rickf1985

I have the Spectra in mine and I have no problems at all. It cools much better than the original copper radiator ever did. The first one in your list is far to this, that would work for a small block in a pick up truck maybe but not in this case.

wajell

But both are single core. What would the difference be?

Another weird thing - Spectra lists the core size as 28.125 inches High and 19.250 inches Wide. That can't be right. It has to be the other way around. I have an inquiry into Spectra technical support.

Thanks

Rickf1985

I think you will find the Spectra core is thicker. Aluminum radiators and their cores are built completely different from copper they can make the core much wider with aluminum since it will not balloon like copper would. Contrary to popular belief aluminum will also give up heat as fast or faster than copper.

BrandonMc

I had a local radiator shop - now out of business - rod out my old radiator for 225 bucks. I have it in my post history about the condition, but the old steel radiators cannot be easily replaced anymore and you are settling for the cheaper aluminum type.

tmsnyder

Settling?  They work great!  And cheaper than having the old ticking time bomb re-cored.  A new aluminum radiator is an upgrade.

Rickf1985

Quote from: BrandonMc on June 22, 2018, 06:06 PM
I had a local radiator shop - now out of business - rod out my old radiator for 225 bucks. I have it in my post history about the condition, but the old steel radiators cannot be easily replaced anymore and you are settling for the cheaper aluminum type.

They are copper, not steel. But you spent more to have a 30 year old radiator cleaned than a new aluminum costs. And that cleaning does not restore all of the corrosion that happened to clog it up, it is still worn out and will fail soon. I could have rodded my own out but it was just not worth it. In the 80's they did not use the best of all materials for radiators so the lifespan is nowhere near like the 30's - 60's radiators.

MotorPro

My original radiator still works like a charm. But if it ever has a problem I will get an aluminum replacement.Aluminum radiators have larger tubes and cool much more efficiently then copper.

wajell

Resolved:

I found the PERFECT replacement. Superior Radiator in Mt. Clemens, MI. They also sell on eBay. 2 core welded all aluminum with transmission cooler. It fit perfectly. The other radiators I was looking at were 1 core aluminum and plastic. This one was $450, but if it lasts longer it will pay for itself in labor costs. Hope this helps someone else.

BrandonMc

Quote from: wajell on June 24, 2018, 12:53 PM
Resolved:

I found the PERFECT replacement. Superior Radiator in Mt. Clemens, MI. They also sell on eBay. 2 core welded all aluminum with transmission cooler. It fit perfectly. The other radiators I was looking at were 1 core aluminum and plastic. This one was $450, but if it lasts longer it will pay for itself in labor costs. Hope this helps someone else.

do you have a link please?