440 pulley queal

Started by Xbird, August 08, 2017, 09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xbird

Should retitle this thread "All the fun things you can find!"

So the brain got to thinking. disconnected everything, house batteries, convertor fuses, engine battery. Tested  batteries ...all 18 volts  N:( Took wife's battery out of her car 18 volts  :( "another alternator to replace (200k honda odyssey)??" brought battery from work jeep ...you guessed it, 18volts ....

replaced battery in meter .....  :-[ :)rotflmao

So, back under I went this morning, using the transpo setup with the wire running off the alt. stud to the battery, no charge voltage whatsoever.

Now, one thing i found is that this also has a blue anodized aftermarket regulator block wired into it as well. which had the shunted post with a ring terminal and bit of 6 gage wire cut off.  Hm? Tracing the mess back against the factory diagram, everything seemed to route correctly using that regulator and the factory regulator.

So i reverted back to the factory regulator, cleaned up the connectors on the harness, put in the new one I have and cut back all the brittle insulation on the alt/field side of the wiring (was sitting back against the head for years apparently) put new terminals on and that was good to go.
The old alt post wire had a fusible link worked into it and a ring terminal on the end, so i cleaned that up and ran it to the blue regulator where the other ring terminal had been cut off. Bingo, 14.3-15 charging volts at idle/4500 rpm (drew my original batteries down pretty hard during this whole process.)

So amen to this deal, so far not a peep out of the pulleys, but it's going to take a test drive to make sure that's 100 percent. Got a bit of harness organizing to do and a few other clean up odds and ends but thankfully she's working properly in terms of the electrical system.

Reverted to the