Dead circuit

Started by Turbodime, May 19, 2017, 05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turbodime

The outlet the DC charger is plugged into has no power coming from it.  I checked it with shore power and also with the genny.

Checked the breakers and all are on, and with my multi-meter I checked power coming from them, all are fine.  Went to track down the source and lost the wiring in the loom and this is covered with insulation. 

Looking for a coach wiring diagram or if anyone knows where this circuit starts. 

34'   1990 Holiday Rambler P-30 454

Thanks for any help

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Rickf1985

You might want to pull the outlet out of the box and see if the wires are connected. Sometimes they use the type where the wires are just pushed into a "V" shaped blade and it cuts through the insulation and that is your outlet connection! Scary huh? They used them in a lot of mobile homes. A lot of mobile homes burned down because of them. I found them in my Winnebago. Most had been replaced but a couple stragglers still existed. I found it for the same reason, it stopped working but the circuit was good.

TerryH

I agree re these connections. Mine has/had them throughout. If you ever have to remove one and then try to reconnect it, you are 'playing with fire'. You are in fact wiring 'blind'. You have no idea if the connection is there or if it is adequate.
Personally, every time I work in the proximity - near or far - of one of these I replace it with a standard, to code, box and outlet.
I'm too old to be able to withstand a 120V shock.
I'm also deathly afraid of an electrical fire. My opinion.

'Fun job'?   I'd say 'extremely important' that you follow through.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

And by the way, turn off the power to everything if you are not absolutely sure which breaker powers that outlet before you get into it because it could be live and with bare wires ready to short out.

Turbodime

Ok, I feel like a heel. Drum roll..... it was the GFI in the bathroom.   You guys are great, thanks for the help.

Turbodime

Pulled shore power made sure all circuits were dead and hooked  up each breaker to a 12v battery and started  tracing each circuit. Went into the bathroom and saw the gfi was open.    Im reminded by a statute at work of a fellow employee who was electrocuted.

TerryH

Quote from: stanDman on May 19, 2017, 05:34 PM
looks like your in for a fun job

I reiterate, this should be considered a critical job as opposed to 'fun'.
In addition, in an RV I have found that a GFI receptacle is usually the first in line in it's circuit. If it trips it will take everything downstream off line on that circuit.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore