73 Brave kitchen faucet leaking at handles

Started by mattyj858, May 15, 2017, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyj858

Hi everyone,

Just got back from camping and found my kitchen faucet was leaking at the hot and cold handles. When I removed the handles and turned the water on, it would leak at the top of the valve. My questions are should I replace the whole faucet or are there replacement valve cartridges? I was able to unscrew the hot water valve cartridge from the faucet with a pair of pliers but can't get the cold water to unscrew. I don't want to over force it and snap something.any ideas on loosening it up? Definitely the original 73 faucet

If I have to replace the entire faucet ( 4") what am I dealing with? I pulled out the drawers  but there is zero visibility as the sink is hiding the fittings. The lines are metal, guessing original.

Thanks

CapnDirk

Everyone I've seen was a standard faucet.  You could get something cheep from the big box stores.  They usually use a standard finger tighten fitting or wrench tighten, but nothing special.  if your phone allows for reversing the camera, reach in behind the sink and snap a picture.  Very easy to replace, and probably more hassle to find washers that are right.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

mattyj858

Thanks, I replaced the whole thing today. It was a pain in the rear as I could see anything.

CapnDirk

I feel your pain.  Replaced the Formica on bath and kitchen counter tops and the faucets were a bugger.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Oz

Quote from: mattyj858 on May 15, 2017, 11:12 PM
Thanks, I replaced the whole thing today. It was a pain in the rear as I could see anything.

Makes home plumbing look like child's play due to the confined spaces you have to deal with in an RV.  But hey, one more thing off the "to do" list! 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca