atwood styrofoam replacement

Started by chicknnhead, May 15, 2017, 12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicknnhead

anyone know of a source to get replacement Styrofoam for my atwood g6a-7 water heater. mine got destroyed getting the water heater in and out after tank replacement.

CapnDirk

I have to say, good luck with that.  I searched on and off for months.  they are not made any more (10 gal yes, 6 gal no).  Even places on the internet that say they have them, do not.

I used vinyl jacketed insulation (used to wrap home heating metal ducts) and its associated vinyl tape to wrap mine.  A home hot water heater wrap kit from the big box store would work fine.  This is as good or better than the foam.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

chicknnhead

ahhh... that's not what I wanted to hear..lol

CapnDirk

same here, and I find it odd that they don't make them considering how many thousands of those 6 gal heaters there are out there.

Someone with a sense of humor has some used ones on eBay for $40 and $78 shipping.  For what cost $12 originally  :)clap
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

Oz

Quote from: CapnDirk on May 15, 2017, 12:54 PM
I have to say, good luck with that.  I searched on and off for months.  they are not made any more (10 gal yes, 6 gal no).  Even places on the internet that say they have them, do not.

I used vinyl jacketed insulation (used to wrap home heating metal ducts) and its associated vinyl tape to wrap mine.  A home hot water heater wrap kit from the big box store would work fine.  This is as good or better than the foam.

As you find out with many items which are very difficult to find, some people who have them for sale know it and charge outrageous prices for them.  This is where the art of improvising comes in.  Vintage RVers are masters of it:  finding an alternative which works just as well or better than the original.

As I always say, you can do anything you want with a vintage RV with a little creativity and ingenuity!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

CapnDirk

Spot on Oz.  That's why this place is so valuable.  Not just the pool of experience, but the pool of alternative parts and hacks.

It's why I post pics and details on my electrical repairs.  A lot of usable stuff gets thrown out.