Before you crawl under your RV.......

Started by TerryH, May 04, 2017, 09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerryH

How many times have we discussed this potential situation here. This one is an actual situation. Look at the 'blocking'. To all new owners and new mechanical DIY'ers, PLEASE ask for advice before you grab that 'should be fine' jack and crawl under your unit. You may have a deflated air bag that you are going to replace yourself. Power to you, these rigs are learning processes. However, you are not working under a light weight unit. A deflated air bag can be replaced. A crushed human?
Lot's of info here. Please ask. You will receive a lot of info.

http://www.peacearchnews.com/news/rv-falls-on-man-in-surrey/

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

tmsnyder

This seems like a great way to sell hydraulic leveling systems.  Those can be used to lift the whole coach, correct?

stanDman111

Rickf1985

Quote from: tmsnyder on May 05, 2017, 07:36 AM
This seems like a great way to sell hydraulic leveling systems.  Those can be used to lift the whole coach, correct?

They should not be used to raise the tires off the ground because then you lose lateral stability. The jacks are not braced to hole the weight of the RV moving sideways or forward and backwards. I have seen many jacks folded over as soon as the rear wheel came of the ground on a slope because it then rolled forward and bent the jacks. The tires are the brakes.

legomybago

A friend of the family was trapped under his million dollar bus due to the air bags deflating while he was underneath. He was stuck there for 6 hours until the neighbor finally heard him yelling for help. He was very lucky, he didn't even get hurt.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

stanDman111

TerryH

I am the OP here and want to jump back in. We have discussed many times what to avoid and how to properly raise our units to work underneath them - safely.

tmsnyder's post was a very good question:
Quote from: tmsnyder on May 05, 2017, 07:36 AM

Answer is NEVER. A levelling system is just that. It is not engineered or installed as a coach raising system.

Rick's reply was right on the money:

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 05, 2017, 09:47 AM
They should not be used to raise the tires off the ground because then you lose lateral stability. The jacks are not braced to hole the weight of the RV moving sideways or forward and backwards. I have seen many jacks folded over as soon as the rear wheel came of the ground on a slope because it then rolled forward and bent the jacks. The tires are the brakes.

stanDman offered this:

Quote from: stanDman on May 05, 2017, 08:07 AM
some times

I sincerely hope that no one read the above and followed it.

Levelling jacks serve one purpose and one purpose only.
20 ton bottle jacks serve another.
10 ton jack stands serve another.
Adequate wood blocking when under your coach serve another.

Hopefully no one has read this thread and decided 'I can use my levelling jacks to raise the unit and work on it. This guy said it was 'some times' ok.

Again, there is a font of information on how to safely raise and support your RV here.
If you have trouble finding it or have questions, please ask.
Last thing we want to hear is you were 'squished' because it should be ok 'some times'.

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

LJ-TJ

Guys, guys,guys that's what rail road ties are for. That's what ten by tens are for. Come on there is a cure for stupid and we see pictures of it all the time. Helps clean out the jean pool. Come on lets use some common cents. D:oH!

Winnebago Warrior 94

I assume any time you go to raise your vehicle up is it a wise thing to always chock all the other tires that are still on the ground ..the front and back of all the tires to help keep the vehicle from rolling in either direction 

LJ-TJ

Depends what you want to do and how you want to jack it. When  jacking the front up. Like a car I chock in front and behind wheels on both sides. If I'm going to jack the back wheels I chock the the front and rear of the front wheels.
Here check these out for chokes. What's your life worth. Check out the ramps nice and solid and the dam thing won't fall on you. If you need to work with the wheels of grab a few railroad ties to set it on. Never known railroad ties to collapse. Never did trust jack stands. They can fall over as well as collapse. Hm? i??

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/how-build-homemade-car-ramps-568285/

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=Rubber+Wheel+Chocks+with+eyebolt

Rickf1985

If you are working on ANY vehicle always chock the tires in front of the tire and behind the tire. This way the vehicle cannot roll forward or back BUT, Keep in mind that if you have the rear end in the air it CAN go sideways because even tough the front tires my be chocked front and back the steering will turn and that will allow enough movement to let the rear end go sideways if the blocking or stands sink in. Always be sure of your supports and then push it sideways, HARD in both directions, before getting under it.

tmsnyder

Work with me Rick, I'm trying to justify (to myself) buying a hydraulic leveling setup  :D
Mine currently has no levelers so I don't know how these are supposed to be used.
Thanks for setting this straight Terry, I certainly don't want to spread misinformation (on this topic at least LOL). 

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 05, 2017, 09:47 AM

Rickf1985

You cannot beat a hydraulic leveling setup for just that, LEVELING. If you need to change a tire then fine, chock the front tires, raise it up and put a stand under the side you are working on and drop the other side back down til the tire is just touching the ground. This will keep it for swaying off to the side and be sure it is close to level when you do this. If those jacks are on and angle then bad things will happen when the tires clear the ground. As far as leveling for camping you should never be so far off as to have to pick up a tire off the ground, if you are then you need to find a different spot.