D24CL front and rear axle swap into D20T

Started by thecaptain, May 02, 2017, 11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecaptain

Well has been sometime since I put the "Rest of the Story" in to end this saga.

First little disappointed when asking questions and some don't respond or half respond or don;t follow up at all when asked.  Simple things like someone would say they run a certain size tire and when asked what brand you get no answer?

Anyway, final call on this project is too much work.  I junked the big DANA 70 HD axles after all that work pulling them out of the donor motor home.  With the bigger axles, dual brake boosters set up and expensive rotors it was just too much work.  Main reason for the end of the project is that 17.5 radial tires seem to very easy to find now so not worth the work of changing rim sizes.  Wish I could get more input and reviews on the best tire brands any of you are using in the size 17.5?  As far as all other upgrades it is in full swing.  Port fuel injection and electronic timing tied into the fuel inject is still on.

Hope to retire here and explore the country and find some vintage clubs and gatherings.  Will have more time to work on the old girl.

Will be checking in with everyone.  Anyone ever wants to talk about this long explored dead horse subject always welcome to reach out to me.  Thanks, The Captain

Rickf1985

I don't see where anyone did not respond and then not follow up with continued answers. I answered with as much  info as I had, in the very beginning I said I was not the expert on motor home swaps. Dave answered and replied many times. The only question I saw with no answer was the one asking what brand of tires and it seems you found them your self. And even you don't mention brands. What you were asking about swapping out running gear is beyond the scope of most of the people here, that is why you did not get many answers. Like most, I will only answer when I have useful information to offer. I hope that does not steer you away from the site.

C&T2

I too have rims like what you have described - no, not split rims, but do have some sort of rivet visible. Not sure what that means exactly...

l'm running Cooper Roadmaster RM170 (215/75r17.5) on my '73 Indian. Went to one of the local truck stops that had a tire shop and this is what they recommended.

So far, no issues, but haven't put tons of miles on...