Replace your Butyl tape around windows

Started by growe, April 29, 2017, 08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

growe

Finally got the delam fixed today. Folks please replace your butyl caulk around windows at least every ten years a lot of old RVS go to camper heaven because people are to lazy to do it. Not hard and not exensive just do it.
God Bless

stanDman111

Rickf1985

Not hard until you realize you have to remove ALL of the overhead cabinets to get the upper screws out of the window frames!!! This is on most of the 80's and later units.

Winnebago Warrior 94

I got some tape that says buytle ..is that the same stuff as butyl tape ?it is grey and I found it by the metal roof section of home depot

TerryH

What are you using it for? Like anything else there are different qualities of butyl tape and they depend on the intended use and life expectancy and exposure to UV.
My opinion, based on a number of years experience - the grey stuff from HD dries out and hardens quickly. It is what it is.
Quality butyl tape is used in glazing applications. Meant to last for years. Available in thicknesses from 1/16" to 3/8". From 1/8" up is available with an incorporated neoprene shim to  minimize 'oozing' and maintain positioning.
Under no circumstance should butyl tape have an edge or surface exposed to sunlight.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Winnebago Warrior 94

I need to remove my windows and replace,the seal around them ..I have some 1 inch double sided eternabond tape ..would that be good to use for that or,is butyle tape better

Oz

The double sided tape was designed for use between the body and exterior fixtures so, it would be good to use.  I used it on my roof fixtures (vents).  I can't say if butyl or eBond is "better" but, the eBond works great, from my experience.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

WrigleysBraveWin

If Double Sided Eternabond is used you may never get anything apart again, which maybe ok but don’t expect better performance from Eternabond in fact you may find it less desirable if you don’t get you window seal set just right as Eternabond is not as forgiving as Butyl Tape ..... Now if you talking about setting a flange on a flat surface go with Eternabond between flange and roof and then stripin the perimeter with one sided Eternabond and that vent should never leak.
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

Winnebago Warrior 94

What is the ebond tape and,where do you get it and what is the,brand of the butyl tape and who carries each of these ..do you get them from a hardware store or somewherr else ..thanks

TerryH

Quote from: Winnebago Warrior 94 on November 20, 2017, 05:30 PM
What is the ebond tape and,where do you get it and what is the,brand of the butyl tape and who carries each of these ..do you get them from a hardware store or somewherr else ..thanks

Butyl...... asked by you and answered here:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,12497.25.html

Eternabond ..... search this site and you will get 4 pages worth.
Google it and you will get 100,000+ hits. All for uses and where you can buy.

Site Search function and Google are your friends.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Look for Dicor products for the butyl in camping and RV suppliers and any dedicated roofing supply will have either the Eternabond or their version of the same product. I used a product fro m a roofing supply my Brother in law used to run, I believe it was called Tribuilt. They are all the same. I can tell you that if you do not get that stuff rolled down good and tight then it does not adhere at all. Basically the surfaces have to be pretty flat and well prepared, the Eternabond is not the miracle product it is made out to be. It works quite well if used for what it was made for which was seam sealing but when you try to patch voids with it then it does not do as well.

WrigleysBraveWin

Agree and I’ll add: Preparation is the entire meal, surface MUST BE Properly Prepared before applying Eternabond or similar.... I cannot stress enough how important a properly prepared surface is ..... Also, rubbing or rolling in the Eternabond is critical to long term performance.
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

Winnebago Warrior 94

thank yall very much for your help sorry if i offended anyone asking the same question twice on the butyle tape ..i wasnt sure if i could find where i had seen it posted at ..i am new to the website and i dont always have a chance to get on alot .most of the time i may be on a tablet or a cell phone so i dont always have a full picture to find my around easily ...i always value yalls knowlege and in no way do i not appreciate peoples input and knowlege ..thank you terry for being very helpful and pointing me in the right direction to where i had seen and was told about what type of tape to get and yes after i talked to yall and yall mentioned about google and you tube videos i did a search and found them ..i just thought it would be better to ask the pros on this site then to go elswhere ..again i appreciate the help my husband had fixed several things from the articles on here and helpful advice on this site ..sorry if in some way i offend or seem unappreciative ..i am very appreciative of yalls help

Rickf1985

I seriously doubt anyone was offended, we all have pretty thick skin here. I don't know how anyone can do computer work on a cell phone!! I guess that shows my age. W%

Winnebago Warrior 94

well i watched one of the you tube videos and i do have to say that the first one i believe is a flop..if terry hadnt told me to use the butyle tape well i would not have known that from not asking the questions first ..they just showed the guy taking out the window and taking off the old caulking and what looked to me like butyle tape and all he did was clean off the butyl tape really well and just went back with the clear cauling ..if i hadnt asked the pros on here and received the information first hand from yall and i had just watched that video ..well guess what i would have done ..yep i would have done it all wrong ..so good thing i just didnt depend on you tube ..i will watch several other videos and get the closest one to what terry told me to do ..id also like to know terry said to use the butyle tape  but id also like to know the best way to caulk because terry said you dont just use the tape you caulk it too with a good non siilcone cauling ..do you just apply the caulking around the widow after you reinsert it and screw it down or do you caulk around it before you reinsert it ..helpful advice would be appreciated in this matter ..lol.. i dont have alot of faith in all the videos so expert advice in case i run across the right video will help me figure out which video is spot on  :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

Terry, Maybe you can chime in here with some tips on the caulk over the butyl? I know I did not do that on mine and I am curious myself about it. I don't know if I can remove enough of the butyl to create room for calk on mine and I an sure a hell not taking those windows out again!

TerryH

Rick and 94 - yes I will. Likely tomorrow as I will include a couple of drawings. I don't come anywhere near the skill Dave has with Paint so I have to draw, scan, reduce, file and attach.
Rick, I remember now you suggested before I do this. Forgot.
94, don't worry about offending - what some of us may have had issue with was the cross-posting. Ask away - we all do. We are very fortunate to have members like Rick, Dave, Frank, etc. etc. etc. assisting us with their extensive experience.
As for Google, it has a font of info. Unfortunately, as in life, there is some incorrect info there. I always cull through numerous hits to determine the best suggestions. Half a dozen bad ones out of 100's of thousand isn't too bad. Unless, of course, all you read is one of the bad ones.
What I post will be tried and true for me over years of doing.
I will not expect everyone to agree with my methods.
Albus Dumbledore

TerryH

Albus Dumbledore

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Winnebago Warrior 94

Thanks for that terry ..I will have to check it,out ..in going,to,order the,butyl tape,you suggested online ..all the glass company's around here don't,carry it,but I did find a,place,on eBay that does ..some of,the,glass companies,around here carry the brand you told me to get but they donthave the,pre shimmed ..but,I did find it,on eBay