Brake master cylinder replacement 73 D18

Started by ralis, April 18, 2017, 11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralis

Got New master Cylinder and booster from Ebay. When they arrive I will see how to replace them
1973 Winnebago D18 with a 318

LJ-TJ

Well we got all the manuals right here and I you run into trouble we got DAVE :)rotflmao . You'll never run short of help here. D:oH!

tmsnyder

Good luck with the parts, hope they fit.   I've had too many problems with mail ordering parts and having them not fit, so I've switched back to getting them from brick and mortar stores b/c it makes returning the part a lot easier.  Also I like having the old part on the counter next to the new part so I can verify it's going to work.   For me, time wasted on the wrong part is worth way more than the dollars saved by ordering online.

ralis

Hi!  I found the manual for 73 Chieftain but not the 73 D18 Brave :(

good point on the parts I am already having issues. The master cylinder arrive yesterday and I went to ebay to leave positive feedback for the fast shipping. Low and behold it said the booster was also delivered as they had the same tracking number? I contacted the seller who I found out is some third party with an auto response of "is the box damaged?"  Uggh this is going to be a pain.

CapnDirk

I would not worry about it just yet.  UPS would not send two boxes with one tracking unless they were taped together solidly to make one entity.  These places get your order and forward it to multiple warehouses sometimes to fullfil.  The ebay store/person is a broker basically.  One part could be coming from the next state, and one from the other end of the country.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

tmsnyder

Check with the neighbor, I had that happen recently. Box might be next door.

LJ-TJ

Contrary to popular belief N.A.P.A. is your best friend. When you get there ask for the oldest guy in the place. LJ and I have broken down all over the States and N.A.P.A. has always gotten out parts for us and have even delivered at a Walmart parking lot.  :)ThmbUp

ralis

Froggy1936

Like TJ Said The oldest guy will know the most, But if all the counter persons look fairly young , Just ask if they know how to read and use the old manuals, If they are only educated in use of the computors  N:( you may still be out of luck. Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ralis

Good News! The Brake Booster arrive today!

Bad News, I have no experience working on brakes! Actually I can barely do a tune up!

So tomorrow I will very carefully drive the not so stoppable Winnie to the shop up the road with the newly acquired parts and see what is to be.
???

Rickf1985

Putting a vehicle on the road with no brakes is NOT smart!!! ONE Mistake and you are in an accident and the lawyers will own everything you ever thought you would own. Have it towed if you need to take it to a shop. The 100.00 tow is worth it in lie of millions in law suits for a bumper tap. And that is what they would get out of you for driving a vehicle on the road with a known no brake condition.

stanDman111

LJ-TJ

Well depends. Wheres the shop? If it's at the corner Aaaaaaaah. But I have to go along with Rick on this one. You guys in the States have lost your minds when it comes to suing people. I live out in the country where you, depending can get away with something like that if your careful. But in the city. CRAZY. D:oH! Sorry.

stanDman111

ralis

Good point, I will do the tow :) I have an appointment for Wednesday the 3rd

LJ-TJ

Your make'n us proud son, your making us proud. Good call. You can pay me now or you can pay me later. Well done. Not an easy decision with a limited budget. :)ThmbUp

stanDman111

CapnDirk

Ralis:

They are not hard to change out yourself.  Four nuts on the inside will turn lose both of them after you disconnect the brake lines on the master cylinder, and the plunger on the brake pedal.  Have a can or something to catch the brake fluid that will come out of the master cylinder.  Since you have help, once the new parts are on and new fluid is in, have the misses pump the brakes 5 times and hold down while you put a rubber hose on the bleeder valve into a clear glass container (you want to see the air coming out)  and crack it open.  Then close and repeat until no more air comes out.   Move on to the next wheel and repeat. Be sure to keep the master cylinder full and the cap on while doing this.  This has the added benefit of flushing your break fluid.

Worse thing that could happen if you install the parts and can't get the brakes bled is that you get charged for a brake bleed.  Paying someone to install something that has a total of 6 nuts is paying someone money that could be used elsewhere on the Winnie.

PM me and I'll be glad to walk you through it with a phone call.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

LJ-TJ

Actually that's not a half bad idea. Good point if your going to have it towed anyway. i?? Surely there's enough experience here we could talk you right through it. Hm?   

Rickf1985

You will not be able to pump it up on a completely empty system. You would open the right rear bleeder and have her push it to the floor and hold it there and close the bleeder, let up on the pedal. open bleeder and push to floor and hold, close bleeder. Repeat this until you get fluid and then move to the left rear and do the same, it will take much less time. then right front followed by left front. Then go around and do as Capn described with pumping up[ pressure and bleeding till air stops in the same order as before.

LJ-TJ

Hm? So if your going to have it towed pull the master cylinder. Go to the dollar store and pick up one of those cheap mustard/ketchup picnic dispensers. Pick up some cheap clear hose/tubing and attach it to the mustard cap and use it to suck out the break fluid out of the master cylinder. No once you do this DO NOT touch the break peddle. Now undo the to break lines. Remove the two bolts and remove the master break cylinder. To replace it just revers the procedure. Fill the master brake cylinder and then bleed the brakes. Cocked Locked and Ready to Rock. :)ThmbUp

C&T2

I'm toying with doing this brake system renewal too. You guys are making this sound easier than I thought! But, how is also replacing the brake booster factored into this process (I have 2)?

stanDman111

replacing  the two boosters on your rig wont be a easy job for a novice = but doable

CapnDirk

They had two boosters, or booster and master cylinder?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Depends on chassis and year
Some had a single booster

Some had dual booster

Some had a hydroboost system

Thats why you have to know what you have

PS:  Most all GM P30 where hydroboost however there were front disk/rear drum (JB8 or JB9) and front/rear disk (JF9) configurations.
[move][/move]