After a year, we pulled the trigger! The Game is afoot!

Started by ralis, April 17, 2017, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralis

Hello all, well we finally did it! Friday evening we purchased a classic Winnebago.
It all started a few years ago when the fiance refused to drive the 37' converted bus, she wanted something easier to handle. I agreed and wanted something easier to park. We started looking at Class C motor homes around the $6,000 dollar range, under 25' long. Nothing struck us, then the wife saw a Classic Winnie with the Brow and said she wanted one of those. I was looking at Indians with the 440. She hated the combined Toilet/Shower, I don't know why, I said it's great! You can do two things at once! She was not having it. I found this site and started looking, we got married. She saw a D18 and fell in love with the model and her favorite year is the 1973. She says it's SOOOOOO CUTE! With a really scary demon voice which means she likes it.  :-[

So after searching for a California registered 1973 D18 Brave with a separate Toilet & Shower we finally found one that was not gutted for under 5K

The owner said the engine was redone, the brakes were all new, the split rims were switched for solid and all new tires, the roof was resealed, ac was great, and he had not used the plumbing or heat since a 1989 trip with grandpa but it should all work fine :)ThmbUp ;) The Asking price was $4.000.00 What a deal!
We went to see it, The roof was sagging down with the AC unit at the lowest point so a new roof is in order and the Patch Job look ugly, no AC cover on top.

All new Tires! Solid Rims!

The engine redone meant new dist cap and wires plus two new hoses! The rest is all original.

With weak batteries and little gas in the carb she started

He could not get the AC on

Turn signals don't work but the headlights do

The interior is rough but all there except the cushions

I wanted to take her for a spin and he acted surprised! so he backed her out of the big storage unit and I got in the drivers seat which is moving all over the place, put it in drive which took some strength and gave it a little gas, all good! Tested the brakes, the pedal went to the floor and she coasted to a stop. Drover her around the parking lot being very wary of the 100' needed to coast to stop at low speed. I insisted the wife drive and she did well.

I looked at the braked and the the lines to the wheels were new but that was it, i saw that the booster was leaking  and figured the master cylinder could use a rebuild as well.

He was a motivated seller, he just got married that morning. He asked what would I offer him to buy it today. I said, if I could have driven it home I would have offered $3,500 but now I would deduct the cost of a booster and master cylinder replacement about $600 plus the cost of the tow for 84 miles.

He counter offered saying he would take care of the tow as he had 100 free miles with AAA. So a deal was struck a deal for $2,900.00 We went for dinner and got the tow to bringer home

She is Half the size of the bus! Grendel the Cruel Bus goes on the market this week
1973 Winnebago D18 with a 318

ralis

I have yet to figure out hoe to post Multiple pics but I will try....Got it, more to come...
1973 Winnebago D18 with a 318

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

stanDman111

DRMousseau

Ah yes,.... "a tiny cottage on wheels"!

What's not to luv about this?!? And so much easier to drive about,.... more like an old "Wonder Bread" delivery that can get anywhere, unlike a BUS!!!

And "SHE", loves it!!!!! DANG!!!!!!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

strykersd

Smog exempt and it has a full bath, I'm jealous! 

LJ-TJ

In short order she'll be part of the family. You guys will have a ball with her. Well done and congratulations.
PS When you get her running right I'd be surprise if the wife even let you drive her. :)clap

CapnDirk

A great motorhome, and a woman that approves of it and is willing to drive her.

Life just does NOT get any better than that!   :)clap

"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Oz

The off-topic, technical discussions have been split and moved since they contained information beneficial to others and do not conform with this message board topic description.  REMEMBER:

Please read the message board descriptions before posting a topic or taking a general topic into a technical one.

The General Board is for:

"Introduce yourself, trips, humor, seasons greetings, and non-technical topics. It is NOT for discussing technical problems. Post requests for technical help on the corresponding message boards."
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca