how can I find out if I have a 4000lb front axle ?

Started by budder, April 14, 2017, 04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

budder

How can I tell if my dodge motorhome has a 4000lb front axle? I need to buy some new front shocks. W%

Rickf1985

It should be listed on the weight rating label on the door frame. It should have the vehicle GVWR and the front and rear axle weight ratings.

budder

Rickf1985

Hmmm, Well I am not that much of a Dodge chassis guy so I may no be a lot of help here. On the rear there will be a BOM number stamped into the housing, that is a bill of material number. It is usually on the rearward facing side and most I have found were on the passenger side. BUT! They were not stamped real hard so they are not easy to find and if the rear end housing is real rusty you may not find it. This number will give a lot of information about the weight rating of the rear end and the year of it and gear ratios and all that. I will try to find the chart that give all the info for the numbers if you find them. They are on all Dana rears. If you know the weight rating of the rear then subtract that from the gross and it "Should" give you the front. I say should because the builder may not have used the Dana rating on the rear.
It may take me a little bit to find those charts so bear with me.

Rickf1985

Rickf1985

I just went back and looked at those sites I gave you and realized they do not give you all the information I was hoping. I am still looking for the charts I was thinking of.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The only information I can see in the 1979 Van Service manual that speaks to 3600 vs 4000 lb axle is under the Brake section.  The CB/MB 300 chassis could have a 3600 or 4000 lb axle.  The CB/MB 400 chassis only used the 4000 lb axle.  Additionally, the CB/MB 400 chassis has the power break booster/master cylinder assembly mounted at right angles to the pedal.  Pedal force is transmitted to the booster via a bellcrank. The CB/MB power break booster/master cylinder assembly is in line with the pedal force so no bellcrank is needed.
[move][/move]

budder

My master cylinder and servo are at a right angle to the bulk head so it looks like I have a 4000lb front axle.
Also on the chassis plate it says f40 Hm?