Fill commode with water before using?

Started by HVACguy, April 11, 2017, 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVACguy

Hi all. So I finally got my water systems all functioning ( first RV ever, so everything at this point is a first for me) and now I have a question. When using the bathroom, do you normally fill the bowl with water before taking a  $@!#@! ?   With my toilet, and maybe this way with all, the bowl is emptied with flush and does not auto refill.  I would think the answer would be yes, but thought I would ask anyway.

joanfenn

Yes add water before using toilet.  Makes for easier cleanup after the fact. W%

DaveVA78Chieftain

Like a house toilet, the RV toilet is also designed to maintain 1-2 inchs of water in it so that it acts like a oder block.  The black tank is normally right below the toilet so fumes can seep in.  This also keeps the sealing gaskets lubricated.
[move][/move]

CapnDirk

Hvac:  Yes, just add water and mix!

Dave:  Didn't know that myself, but a P trap is for locking off odor from escaping so it makes sense that the layer of water would accomplish the same,  With al as well as helping to keep the seal from drying out.  Thank you!

I now understand why people keep saying you know your S$#T!   :)clap  With all sincere respect.

"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

DRMousseau

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on April 11, 2017, 06:49 PM
Like a house toilet, the RV toilet is also designed to maintain 1-2 inchs of water in it so that it acts like a oder block.  The black tank is normally right below the toilet so fumes can seep in.  This also keeps the sealing gaskets lubricated.

And while under way on the road, you might want jus the smallest amount to stop odors and such. You'll know what you can get away with on that first venture over a wet/slippery floor or a surprising "seat", when you arrive at your favorite camp. While most accommodate this matter manually and pretty good, some, like my "home-style" china, need jus a bit that's automatically dispensed after each "flush", and then requires some additional before use. I still check for excessive amounts before hitting the road,... especially if grandkids have been visiting!!! D:oH!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

TerryH

Personally, I always leave an inch or two of water in the bowl after flushing.
Prior to a sitting session I add a little more water.
Never had a problem with splash out when on the road.
As an aside, one of the first interior changes I made after buying mine was to remove the carpeting from the head area and replace it with a temporary vinyl flooring. Since been changed to the coach flooring.
Carpet in a head area - no thanks. N:( N:(
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore